Rachael Dixon death: Soul Barn Creative Wellbeing Centre responds to tragic ‘mushroom’ related incident

Elisia Seeber
The Nightly
3 Min Read
Rachael Dixon died at a health retreat near Ballarat after consuming a drink that her family believed contained magic mushrooms.
Rachael Dixon died at a health retreat near Ballarat after consuming a drink that her family believed contained magic mushrooms. Credit: The Nightly

The wellness centre where a mother died after consuming what is believed to have been magic mushrooms says the tragic incident happened while she was attending a private event at the facility.

Rachael Dixon, 53, went into cardiac arrest allegedly after drinking a hallucinogenic drink made at Soul Barn Creative Wellbeing Centre in Clunes, a town in Victoria near Ballarat, at midnight on Sunday.

Two others were hospitalised after consuming the drink but have since been discharged. They have now been discharged from hospital.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

In a statement to the Herald Sun on Wednesday, Soul Barn said an external business had hired a workshop space at the facility for a private function.

“There are no words to express the deep sorrow and shock we are feeling here at Soul following the tragic incident that occurred on April 13th,” its statement read.

“Soul Barn hires out workshop space to external businesses and facilitators. The event which took place on April 13th was a private event, and those facilitating the event do not work for or represent Soul Barn in any way.

“None of our regular therapists, staff or facilitators were present at any point during this event.”

Soul Barn also said the facility had shut down to allow the police to complete their investigation.

“We share the shock and devastation of everyone involved and our hearts are with those families affected,” the statement continued.

“We have no further information to share and we ask you to please respect the privacy of our small community.”

It is understood Ms Dixon was a myotherapist and personal trainer, who has been described as a “loving mum”.

Her son Matthew posted a heartbreaking tribute to his mother on social media on Sunday, writing that he wished he could give her “one last hug”.

“Rest in peace,” he wrote.

“To the most loving, most caring person I’ve ever known, I can’t thank you enough for everything you ever did for me and all the support you gave me; words can’t begin to describe how much I will miss you; I wish I could give you one last hug.

“Love you infinitely, Mum.”

Her sister, Penny Muller-Dixon, also said the family was heartbroken over the loss.

“So this happened. Words cannot express the heartbreak we are all feeling,” she wrote. “Life is so fkn short, please hug and love those around you, #takentooyoung #lovemysister.”

Ms Dixon’s son and ex-husband told the media the drink she consumed at the event contained mushrooms, but this has not been confirmed by police.

Ms Dixon’s death is the second mushroom-related tragedy in Victoria in less than 10 months.

Victorian authorities warned residents earlier this month that poisonous mushrooms were growing across the state.

“Do not pick and eat wild mushrooms in Victoria unless you are an expert,” acting Chief Health Officer Evelyn Wong said.

“There is no home test available to distinguish safe and edible mushrooms from poisonous mushrooms.”

The investigation into Ms Dixon’s death is still ongoing, with police calling on anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 21-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202421 May 2024

The PM, the terrorist and the A-list barrister demanding war crimes charges.