Immigration detention: Anthony Albanese defends delays in using lock-up powers after Ninette Simons bashing

Dan Jervis-Bardy
The Nightly
2 Min Read
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has defended the Federal Government’s lack of urgency around using emergency laws to re-detain high-risk individuals.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has defended the Federal Government’s lack of urgency around using emergency laws to re-detain high-risk individuals. Credit: LUKAS COCH/AAPIMAGE

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has defended his Government’s failure to submit a single application to lock up former immigration detainees after one was allegedly involved in the brutal attack on Perth grandmother Ninette Simons.

Almost five months have passed since Labor rushed through emergency laws handing Immigration Minister Andrew Giles the power to apply to supreme courts to re-detain the most high-risk individuals released after last year’s High Court ruling.

No applications to use the preventative detention regime have been submitted.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The hold-up is under fresh scrutiny after ex-detainee Majid Jamshidi Doukoshkan was allegedly involved in the home invasion and robbery that left the 73-year-old with severe facial injuries.

While Mr Albanese wants applications to be prepared as a “matter of urgency”, he suggested the Federal Government needed time to give itself the best chance of success.

“I want to be very clear, I want to see applications done as soon as possible and I want to see them to succeed,” he said.

Mr Albanese again offered his sympathy to Ms Simons, saying there was “no place for violence in society”.

The Prime Minister again noted it took years for the former Coalition Government to submit an application to use its high-risk terrorist offenders’ scheme, which the preventative detention regime was based on.

Mr Giles on Tuesday said applications were “well underway” but would not comment further to avoid prejudicing the cases.

The Commonwealth’s community protection board is responsible for assessing the NZYQ cohort and determining which ones should be sent back into detention.

On Wednesday, The West Australian reported the board had advised against fitting Mr Jamshidi Doukoshkan with a GPS tracking device before he allegedly participated in the home invasion.

Given the board decides which visa conditions are necessary based on the individual’s risk to the community, the fact it advised against ankle monitoring suggests it did not believe Mr Jamshidi Doukoshkan posed a major threat.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 17-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 17 May 202417 May 2024

Shadowy South American crime figure at centre of alleged gambling scandal that’s rocked Aussie sport.