Darren Wick quits Nine after three decades at network

Headshot of Sarah Blake
Sarah Blake
The Nightly
2 Min Read
Darren Wick former Director of News and Current Affairs at Nine
Darren Wick former Director of News and Current Affairs at Nine Credit: Nine/supplied

Nine’s news and current affairs director Darren Wick has left the media company saying “I know in my heart” it was the right time to step down.

“I am stepping down as the National Director of News and Current Affairs and leaving NINE,” his email to staff on Friday night said.

“This is my 13th year in that position and my 29th year at the Network.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

“After many long beach walks and even longer conversations, I know in my heart that this is the right time for me to step down and leave NINE.

“I don’t want to use the word ‘retiring’ because I don’t know how to sit idle. But I am going to take a very long break from what has been four decades of working as a journalist.”

The development ends weeks of speculation about the unexplained absence of Mr Wick, who has been news director since 2012, from Nine’s Sydney headquarters.

Nine’s national news director Darren Wick has quit after three decades with the network.
Nine’s national news director Darren Wick has quit after three decades with the network. Credit: Supplied
Nine’s national news director Darren Wick has quit after three decades with the network.
Nine’s national news director Darren Wick has quit after three decades with the network. Credit: Supplied

His departure leaves a vacuum in Nine’s executive ranks.

One of Australian media’s great survivors, Mr Wick shrugged off previous controversy and retained his high-profile job after he was sentenced in 2021 for high range drink driving after being pulled over with a blood alcohol reading of 0.227.

He underwent 100 hours of community service, was banned from driving for nine months and served a nine-month intensive corrections order.

His whereabouts and absence from the office have been the topic of heated speculation in Sydney media circles.

Nine last week said there was no substance to rumours that he was departing the company, with a spokesperson telling The Nightly last Thursday: “Darren Wick is currently on leave and will be returning shortly”.

Comments

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 14-06-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 14 June 202414 June 2024

Tesla investors deliver Elon Musk an 11-cylinder salary.