updated

Sydney University stabbing: Campus in lockdown after 14-year-old allegedly stabs random student at front gates

Matt Shrivell, Remy Varga
The Nightly
A man was allegedly stabbed at the front gates of Sydney University.
A man was allegedly stabbed at the front gates of Sydney University. Credit: AAP

Counter terror police will address the media after a 14-year-old allegedly stabbed a student in the neck and back in an apparent random attack at the University of Sydney.

It comes after vice-chancellor Mark Scott moved to ensure staff and students as the university remained in partial lockdown on Tuesday with parts of Science Road and Western Avenue cordoned off next to a sports oval.

The 22-year-old student remains in a serious but stable condition at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital while police took the teenager into police custody after the alleged stabbing at about 8.35am this morning.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

A NSW Police spokersperson said assistant commissioner of counter terrorism Mark Walton would address journalists at 3pm on Tuesday along with Australian Federal Police acting assistant commissioner Craig Palmer.

“Officers from Inner West Police Area Command established a crime scene and were informed that after the incident a male boarded a bus on Parramatta Road,” said the spokesperson.

“A short time later officers arrested a 14-year-old boy near Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, where he is currently assisting with inquiries.

“Neither person is believed to be known to one another.”

Police believe the 14-year-old allegedly stabbed the stranger before attempting to flee the scene by boarding a bus on Parramatta Road before he was later caught near the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.

At the University of Sydney, a police officer picked up a puffer jacket and a backpack discarded next to the oval fence.

Professor Scott told staff in an email that he was “shocked and saddened” by the attack and said 15 had been placed into “secure mode” as police continued their investigation, which means they can only be accessed with a swipe pass.

“I am shocked and saddened to inform you that a student in our community was attacked on our Camperdown Campus this morning in what police believe is an isolated incident,” Mr Scott said.

“The student is in hospital and is in a serious but stable condition.

“NSW Police have arrested the alleged attacker and have assured us that there is no ongoing threat to the community.

“A NSW Police operation is currently underway on our campus and we are assisting police with their investigation.

“As a precautionary measure, several buildings have been placed on secure mode,” Mr Scott added.

The university has a large private security presence on campus and is liaising with police and authorities.

Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 23-07-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 23 July 202423 July 2024

Australia’s top cyber cop lashes big tech firms for profiting from alarming scourge amid calls for further action on online image abuse.