Chris Baghsarian: Dural, NSW, crime scene uncovered in hunt for kidnapped North Ryde grandfather
Police have raided a Sydney home linked to the mistaken kidnapping of 85-year-old Chris Baghsarian, uncovering a grim development as the search intensifies.
A suburban property in Sydney’s north-west has been declared a key crime scene as detectives ramp up their search for kidnapped 85-year-old Chris Baghsarian.
Detectives identified the Dural address this week as part of their ongoing investigation into the alleged abduction of the North Ryde grandfather.
Just after 5am on Friday, February 13, police were told the elderly man had been taken from his home, before local police before detectives launched a coordinated recovery operation.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.Early inquiries established Mr Baghsarian was not the intended target and had been abducted in a case of mistaken identity.
Mr Baghsarian was alone at his home in North Ryde when a group of masked intruders arrived at the property and forced him into a dark-coloured SUV before speeding away.
Media attention on the case has been widespread, and investigators are at a loss as to why Mr Baghsarian was not released once the perpetrators realised they had snatched the wrong man.
“I don’t know why they have not released him. Other to say we put the appeal out to say they have the wrong man. What I can say is that to those that are responsible - please release Mr Baghsarian,” Det. Supt. said.
“Let us know where he is. We’re looking to get him the medical assistance and treatment that he requires and we’ll do the rest.
“Let us know where he is. Please put him somewhere safe, contact somebody, doesn’t have to be the police, but just contact somebody to say where Mr Baghsarian is and we’ll do the rest. We’ll take care of him.”
Detectives and hostage negotiators have spent the weekend exploring Mr Baghsarian’s family and the potential for any links to organised crime or a history of criminal activity, which they have so far ruled out.
“What I can say to you is Mr Baghsarian and Mr Baghsarian’s family are not involved in any criminal world,” Det. Supt. Mark said.
“These kinds of offences usually involve those that are involved in organised crime networks.
“Their family are in distress. All they want is their father to be returned. Their grandfather to be returned. What I can say is that I’m a million per cent confident they have the wrong person.
“This is not a typical crime that happens, where the offenders have got the wrong person. It’s not an instance where they’re randomly taking people for the sake of it.
“They were intending to take somebody, but have taken the wrong person.
“They have kidnapped wrong person.”
The frail state of the elderly man and his need to daily medication has police particularity concerned about his well bring.
“He was wearing a flannelette shirt, a red and blue flannelette shirt, he was wearing a pair of grey pyjamas,” Det. Supt. Marks said.
As part of the expanding investigation, detectives began to monitor a property on Wildthorn Avenue in Dural, believed to have been used as a makeshift stronghold by those responsible.
About 7pm on Thursday, strike force investigators executed a search warrant at the address as specialist teams continued efforts to locate Mr Baghsarian.
Police say the investigation remains intensive, with officers working to both find the missing man and identify and arrest those responsible.
Anyone who may have seen or heard anything relating to the kidnapping, or who witnessed suspicious activity in the Dural area since last Friday, is urged to contact detectives.
Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or crimestoppersnsw.com.au.
