Teenagers charged after terrifying brawl with machete-wielding youth breaks out at Melbourne shopping centre

Elisia Seeber
The Nightly
3 Min Read
Shoppers were forced to flee the Woodgrove Shopping Centre in Melton, in Melbourne’s northwest, when the youths launched their alleged horrifying attack about 5pm.
Shoppers were forced to flee the Woodgrove Shopping Centre in Melton, in Melbourne’s northwest, when the youths launched their alleged horrifying attack about 5pm. Credit: A screenshot from CCTV footage obtained by the Herald Sun

A suburban Melbourne shopping centre was sent into chaos on Monday afternoon after machete-wielding youths busted through the doors and began attacking each other.

Victoria Police received reports of a group of males “armed with edged weapons” fighting at Woodgrove Shopping Centre in Melton, about 5pm Monday.

Shoppers were forced to flee the centre, in Melbourne’s northwest, when the teenagers launched their alleged horrifying attack.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Terrifying CCTV footage obtained by the Herald Sun shows two hooded youths, one armed with an axe and another with a machete, attacking another, near the centre’s KFC.

A witness, who did not want to be named, told the Herald Sun she saw a “massive” machete being waved around as the brutal attack began.

Describing the attackers as “young teens” she said it was likely two rival youth gangs at war.

“One had an axe, they were just going at each other,” she said, adding “There was a trail of blood everywhere.

“The machete was massive, it was terrifying... especially after what happened in Bondi.”

Police have now charged two teenage boys — aged 16 and 15 — over the alleged brawl with affray, possessing prohibited weapons and being armed with criminal intent. Both teens will face the children’s court.

“A boy, aged 15 from Weir Views, was located with head injuries and was conveyed to hospital where he remains,” Victoria Police said in a statement.

He will be interviewed by police when he is released from hospital. Police were on Tuesday morning yet to locate the other offenders.

Woodgrove Shopping Centre Centre manager Kylie Robertson told the Herald Sun that further security was deployed after Monday’s attack.

“Woodgrove Shopping Centre’s security personnel rapidly responded to a security incident yesterday with support from Victoria Police,” she said.

“We are grateful no customers, retailers or security were harmed and we continue to assist authorities with their investigation.”

The violence comes after horrific violence unfolded at Bondi Junction Westfield in Sydney on Saturday.

Six people died and 12 were hospitalised, including a nine-month-old baby, after Queensland man Joel Cauchi went on a stabbing rampage at the busy shopping centre on Saturday afternoon. Mr Cauchi was shot dead by a police officer who was on duty for an unrelated matter at the centre.

More violence erupted in Sydney’s west on Monday night when a 16-year-old boy allegedly stabbed Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel while he was in the middle of delivering a mass at the Good Shepherd Church. The teen also allegedly stabbed three others during the mass. All four victims are now in hospital recovering from non-life-threatening injuries.

The attack now alleged to be terror-related caused riots to spill onto the streets of Wakeley. Up to 30 police cars were left trashed and officers were injured in the chaos.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese declared there is “no place for violent extremism” after the attack.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 23-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 23 May 202423 May 2024

Australian Border Force burns 48 boats and captures more than 200 in illegal fishing vessel blitz.