Rio Tinto’s profit falls but dividend rises as Simon Trott talks up copper potential
Rio Tinto is throwing the kitchen sink at securing more copper, with 85 per cent of its exploration budget now geared towards the coveted pinkish-orange metal.

Rio Tinto is throwing the kitchen sink at securing more copper, with 85 per cent of its exploration budget now directed towards finding the coveted pinkish-orange metal.
Rio chief Simon Trott announced the renewed copper push after the company boosted its final dividend despite a weaker bottom line.
Net profit of $US10 billion ($14.1b) for 2025 was a 14 per cent decline year-on-year from $US11.6b.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.This was largely driven by average iron ore sale prices from its flagship Pilbara mines decreasing 8 per cent.
The final declared dividend, however, is up from $US2.25 to $US2.54. Totals dividends for 2025 will be $US4.02, steady on the shareholder payout a year prior.
“Our solid financial results demonstrate clear progress as we embed our stronger, sharper and simpler way of working,” Mr Trott said.
“We achieved an 8 per cent uplift in copper-equivalent production driven by the ongoing ramp-up of the Oyu Tolgoi underground copper mine and record iron ore production since April from our Pilbara operations.
“Our strong cash flow and balance sheet enable us to sustain a 60 per cent payout ratio with a $US6.5b ordinary dividend, making it the 10th consecutive year at the top end of the range.”

Mr Trott signalled that Rio’s broader business growth would underpinned by a 3 per cent compound annual growth rate in copper production to 2030.
Mining giants across the globe are clamouring to boost their reserves of copper, with the red metal’s demand expected to boom for decades given its extensive applications in the data centres and computer chips that make artificial intelligence possible.
BHP is the world’s largest producer of copper but its iron ore rival Rio is playing catch-up outside of the top five.
Rio’s recent interest in a $350b-plus merger with Glencore was fuelled by the latter’s large copper project pipeline.
Earlier this week, BHP chief executive Mike Henry made a thinly-veiled dig at Rio after saying his company, unlike many of its rivals, was not “M&A dependent” to unlock copper growth.
Mr Trott signalled Rio is now looking inwards to get its hands on new sources.
“Our exploration teams have really narrowed their scope and put copper front and centre,” he said.
“As a result, we’re now directing 85 per cent of our exploration budget towards copper.”
Mr Trott mentioned the Winu copper-gold project in the Pilbara as one of Rio’s key growth avenues.
The Winu project on the WA side of the Great Sandy Desert is Rio’s sole copper option in Australia — and one of only a handful in its global portfolio.
Since discovering Winu in 2017, Rio has dragged its feet in developing the prospect into a mine.
Winu was said to be too small for a company of Rio’s scale. But with a Glencore deal now dead in the water, the Pilbara project has come into sharp focus.
Rio on Thursday said a pre-feasibility study for initial processing capacity development of up to 10 million tonnes per annum was also completed it the final quarter of 2025.
“The project has advanced to a feasibility study, which is currently in progress and scheduled for completion by the end of 2026,” the company stated.
Sumitomo Metal Mining agreed to pay $US399 million for a 30 per cent stake in the project in late 2024.
Originally published on The Nightly
