Rossmoyne Senior High School: Shock vision of ‘radicalised’ teen blowing up toilet emerges

Caleb Runciman
The Nightly
2 Min Read
Shock vision of ‘radicalised’ teen blowing up toilet emerges

A shocking video has emerged of the 16-year-old boy shot dead by police in a Bunnings carpark blowing up a school toilet with an explosive device.

Police said the boy had become “radicalised” before he stabbed a man in his 30s on High Road in Willetton around 10pm on Saturday.

He was shot dead by officers after tasers failed to stop him charging police.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The West Australian has obtained a confronting video of the teenager damaging a toilet at Rossmoyne Senior High School with an explosive device.

Male students in the video can be seen warning the boy to step away from the toilet after he tosses an object towards it.

Several teens were heard laughing and screaming after the explosion, which is believed to have occurred in late 2022.

Students and parents have been left reeling from the incident.

The 16-year-old boy who police say became radicalised before he stabbed an innocent man in a Bunnings car park previously blew up a school toilet with a homemade explosive device. 
The 16-year-old boy who police say became radicalised before he stabbed an innocent man in a Bunnings car park previously blew up a school toilet with a homemade explosive device.  Credit: Unknown/Supplied

“He was in our grade and he was quite a kind person and just genuine and did really well in school and he was just like one of us,” fellow Year 11 student Kaleigh Weir said on Monday.

“We can’t really imagine just seeing him around school acting like that, but he’s just a genuine person and I believe he was just confused and just lost, and it wasn’t really the him that we know.”

The boy was part of a de-radicalisation program after police were alerted to his behaviour in 2022.

It has been revealed parents tried to warn Education Minister Tony Buti about the boy’s behaviour before they were referred to the Education Department.

Some of those parents attempted to warn Education Minister Tony Buti about a cluster of boys they feared exhibited violent Islamist ideology and were attempting to radicalise other students.

One parent even went as far as trying to warn the Australian Federal Police that the group was trying to “indoctrinate” their son.

Mr Cook on Monday confirmed a “letter” had been sent to Dr Buti.

“As is appropriate, the minister automatically referred that letter to the Education Department for action,” the Premier said.

“The Education Department obviously took that information on board and continued to manage that young man.”

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 21-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202421 May 2024

The PM, the terrorist and the A-list barrister demanding war crimes charges.