Donald Trump shares video of reported Houthi attack on social media

Headshot of David Johns
David Johns
The Nightly
Donald Trump shares a video of what he says is an attacvk on Houthi rebels.
Donald Trump shares a video of what he says is an attacvk on Houthi rebels. Credit: Donald Trump/X

US President Donald Trump has shared a confronting video of what he says is an attack on Houthis, presumably in Yemen.

The video shows dozens of people standing in an oval shape on the ground before a huge explosion rips through the area.

It has already been viewed 15 million times.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Mr Trump said the Houthis were “gathered for instructions on an attack”

“Oops, there will be no attack by these Houthis,” he said.

“They will never sink our ships again!”

The US announced last month it would be escalating attacks on Houthi rebels in Yemen.

The Houthis are an armed movement that had taken control of the most populous parts of Yemen despite nearly a decade of Saudi-led bombing.

Since November 2023, they have launched scores of attacks on ships off its coast, disrupting global commerce and driving up prices around the world.

The US response is the biggest armed show of force since Donald Trump took office for his second term.

It was overshadowed last week by news that Jeffrey Goldberg, the editor of US magazine The Atlantic, had been accidentally included in a Signal chat including Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth and Vice President J.D. Vance.

That chat included sensitive operational details of March 15 strikes on Houthi rebels.

On Friday, the Pentagon’s Inspector General’s office revealed it would open an investigation into the incident.

“The objective of this evaluation is to determine the extent to which the Secretary of Defence and other DoD personnel complied with DoD policies and procedures for the use of a commercial messaging application for official business,” wrote Steven Stebbins, the acting Inspector General.

“Additionally, we will review compliance with classification and records retention requirements.”

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 04-04-2025

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 4 April 20254 April 2025

Global markets plunged into chaos as Trump tariff regime sparks $4 trillion bloodbath.