Collingwood recruit Dan Houston in ‘big, big trouble’ after another high shot

Glenn Valencich
7NEWS Sport
The Collingwood defender is facing fresh scrutiny for a high shot on Lachie Fogarty.

Collingwood recruit Dan Houston faces missing more time for his new club after collecting Carlton’s Lachie Fogarty with a high elbow on Thursday night.

Houston was suspended for Opening Round on the back of a five-game ban from his time with Port Adelaide last year for a bump on Adelaide’s Izak Rankine.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Collingwood recruit in ‘big, big trouble’ after another high shot.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

He is now set to find himself under renewed scrutiny from the match review officer just three games into his Magpies career.

Houston left his feet to bump Fogarty late in the second term at the MCG, with his elbow and upper arm making clear contact with the Blues man as the ball flew over the pair.

The 27-year-old quickly gestured to suggest the hit was accidental but Channel 7 commentators just as swiftly said a ban is on the cards.

“That is a little bit of trouble, there,” Brian Taylor said.

Kane Cornes added: “Big trouble. We know the issues he had last year in the Showdown (on Rankine). That’s big, big trouble.”

The Game AFL 2025

Fogarty got back to his feet in what Taylor said was “the only thing in his (Houston’s) favour — but that’s not going to get him off”.

Nick Riewoldt assessed: “The ball’s not in play, he’s overran it, he’s left the ground — and his elbow’s come out. Depending on what happens with Fogarty now, that’s going to determine how this plays out for Houston.”

But 7NEWS chief football reporter Mitch Cleary, who noted Fogarty was “alert on the bench”, said the potential to cause injury could play a key role in Houston’s fate.

“The fact that he opted to bump, makes contact with the head and breached his duty of car, Dan Houston’s in trouble,” Cleary said.

The man himself disagreed.

“I thought I had fair play on the ball and obviously I’ve got to protect myself when those things happen,” Houston told Channel 7 after the 17-point win.

“I didn’t actually realise it happened. I was fully focused on the team.

“I think it’s such a hard game to play, and especially behind the ball you’ve got to make those split-second decisions when you see the ball coming at you.

“He was in front of me and, yeah, I don’t think there’s anything in it.”

Houston will not face a stronger punishment for his recent poor record, with the AFL match review system no longer taking past incidents into consideration.

Collingwood face Sydney in Adelaide for Gather Round next week before heading north to face reigning premiers Brisbane in a Thursday night blockbuster.

Houston’s hit came towards the end of a fiery first half.

Sam Walsh and Nick Daicos fired up at the end of the opening term, with players coming from all over to join the fray.

Walsh’s Blues took a four-point lead into the main break and he said the rivalry was “absolutely” on show.

“We know what we’re here to do,” he told Channel 7.

“We’ve just got to keep going. It’s reset at half-time, bring that same pressure and intensity. We just want to keep on coming with aggression.”

Carlton lost Lachie Cowan to a hamstring injury in the first quarter, with substitute Ashton Moir quickly called into action.

Originally published on 7NEWS Sport

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 03-04-2025

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 3 April 20253 April 2025

Trade trouble and major tumble bookend PM’s roughest day on campaign trail.