Former North Melbourne midfielder Tarryn Thomas faces more charges after harassing phone calls

Headshot of Jake Santa Maria
Jake Santa Maria
The Nightly
2 Min Read
There are reports this morning that disgraced former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas is being investigated for harassment by police, once again.

Former North Melbourne footballer Tarryn Thomas is facing fresh legal troubles after being charged for allegedly harassing his former partner.

According to reports in the Herald Sun, police were investigating Thomas after he allegedly made multiple phone calls throughout the day/night to his estranged girlfriend.

The alleged calls were reportedly placed after he was handed a massive 18-game suspension by the AFL for conduct breaches, including alleged social media threats to the same women and was subsequently cut by the Kangaroos.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said police executed a search warrant on Tuesday.

“Police have charged a 24-year-old Ormond man in relation to reports of alleged harassing phone calls,” she said.

“Police executed a search warrant at a premises in Ormond on Tuesday 21 May about 11:15am.

“The man was arrested and charged with using telecommunications service to harass and breaching a court order.”

Tarryn Thomas’ AFL career is likely over after latest charges.
Tarryn Thomas’ AFL career is likely over after latest charges. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Despite the ban handed to Thomas earlier this year, reports suggested some clubs still held interest in the former pick No.8 despite a warning from North Melbourne club president Jennifer Watt that they had tried and failed to change Thomas’ behaviour.

“Even though Tarryn ended up completing four different programs, which included an extensive combination of education, therapy and participation-style programs, we were not able to meaningfully change his behaviour,” she wrote in an email sent out to clubs.

After his latest charge, the AFL has said it will bar Thomas from playing football at any level not just the AFL.

“The AFL reiterates that under the sanctions previously imposed on Mr Thomas by the AFL, he currently cannot train or play at any level of Australian Football without the approval of the AFL including once his 18-match suspension expires,” the league said in a statement.

“The AFL will specifically not permit Mr Thomas to join the list of any AFL Club pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.

“More broadly, it is the AFL’s intent that Mr Thomas will not be approved to play at any level of Australian Football pending the hearing and determination of the charges that have now been brought against him and subject to the outcome of those proceedings.”

Thomas is due to face the Broadmeadows Magistrates’ Court on November 21.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 14-06-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 14 June 202414 June 2024

Tesla investors deliver Elon Musk an 11-cylinder salary.