Ross Lyon takes public shot at Herald Sun’s ‘word vomit’ over AFL player recruiting strategy
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has fired back at an article suggesting his club can’t lure rival AFL talent despite countless attempts in recent years.
A double-page spread in the Herald Sun last Wednesday ran through St Kilda’s “long list of rejections” from players they have tried to lure to Moorabbin.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Ross Lyon fires back at Herald Sun article.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.St Kilda’s mega offer to GWS midfielder Finn Callaghan has been well documented, while Carlton ruck Tom De Koning remains a player of interest.
The article also lists Jordan De Goey, Hugh McCluggage, Zach Merrett, Karl Amon, Jacob Weitering, Andrew Brayshaw “and more” as swings and misses.
Appearing on Channel 7’s The Agenda Setters on Tuesday night, Lyon poured cold water over the story.
“That article’s a bit of word vomit, to be honest. And that’s a bit of the media at times,” he said.
“There were names thrown around that I’ve never spoken to.
“Without going into those players ... if I’m a player manager, I’m trying to link it to get some leverage.”

The article claimed a rival “list boss” described the Saints’ recruiting strategy as like a “scattergun”, using their approach to Carlton defender Brodie Kemp last year as an example, which Lyon bristled at.
“There were some inaccuracies. Even the ‘reckless’ approach for (Brodie) Kemp; we approached Kemp because we saw him as a roll-off defender once (Josh) Battle left us, and the money was there, but we didn’t want to give more than a third-round pick,” Lyon told The Agenda Setters.
“He was the right player, he was happy to come, but it was (described) as a ‘reckless’ (approach) — no, it was disciplined.
“And we spoke to some other players that ended up at other clubs and we identified them early.
“I flew after Gather Round last year and met two players in Sydney. Now, one of them is at another club, but the money just got too expensive, so we did walk away.
“What I’m saying is, we’re applying a discipline.”
Lyon made no apologies for actively being in the market to improve their list, even joking that their lucrative offer to Callaghan was too modest.
“Our supporters would be disappointed if we’re not talking to free agents and we’re not in the market,” he said.
“I’m not privy to all the figures. I personally didn’t speak to Finn Callaghan — I probably should have, he’s pretty special, we probably didn’t offer him enough.”
Originally published on 7NEWS Sport