Sydney Swans scandal: Drugs 'potentially' part of police probe into Swans
Sydney's chief executive says if drugs were involved in the hotel incident involving five now-banned players it is potentially part of the police investigation.
Sydney’s banned five players will potentially face police questions about drug use, club hierarchy say.
The Swans didn’t drug test the five players - Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon - before suspending them from playing for the rest of the AFL season.
“That’s potentially part of the police matter,” Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich told reporters on Wednesday.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.Asked if the club considered drug testing the five players, he replied: “That matter is for the police.”
The five players have yet to be formally interviewed by Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad into an alleged sexual assault at the Pullman Hotel in east Melbourne early Monday.
Pavlich stressed the club banned the five players for breaching team standards, separate from the police investigation.
“It was staying out late, it was drinking, it was continuing their night, it was bringing women back to the hotel,” he said.
The five were among other Sydney players and staffers who went out following the club’s win against Essendon in an MCG game that finished about 7pm (AEST) on Sunday.
Pavlich said coaches and staffers, including medicos and media personnel, “had a pre-planned get together”.
“They all got back to the hotel quite late, had some dinner and then went out, so it wasn’t inappropriate what they did,” he said.
Players went out separately, but there was no curfew - but that could now change.
“We will revise or review some of our protocols, but that’s a decision for (coach) Dean (Cox) and (captain) Callum Mills and (senior assisant coach) Leon Cameron,” he said.
Numerous other questions remain, including whether the five banned players could face more football-related sanctions if charged by police.
“We have to wait and see what happens,” Swans chairman Andrew Pridham told reporters.
Pavlich was uncertain if there would be backlash from fans, members and corporate sponsors.
“We have been informing them as early as we can,” he said.
“What I would say is we have got wonderful support at the club in that space, our commercial partners have been wonderful.”
Whether the AFL barred the suspended five players from contention for All Australian honours - Heeney, Warner and Blakey are contenders - rested with the AFL.
The AFL, because of the controversy, had already delayed releasing the initial 40-man squad ahead of naming the final 23-strong team.
Heeney was also expected to be among the leaders in Brownlow medal voting, but he and his banned teammates are unlikely to attend the annual function for the league’s best-and-fairest player award.
This masthead is not suggesting the players are guilty of any wrongdoing, just that they are assisting police with enquiries.

