breaking

Nick Kyrgios suspended after testing positive to cocaine during ATP 250 event in Spain

Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine during competition.

Headshot of Amy Cavender
Amy Cavender
The West Australian
Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain.
Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain. Credit: Nick Kyrios/Instagram/Instagram

Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain.

The Australian tennis player confirmed the news on Instagram, saying he had “made a huge mistake” and took “full responsibility” after failing the in-competition drug test.

The 31-year-old faces a ban from all tennis from a baseline three-month suspension up to a four-year ban if found to have used the drug in competition.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

He has so far not appealed the decision.

Kyrgios apologised to his fans, family, sponsors and the children who follow him, while revealing the toll years of injuries and uncertainty over his career had taken on his physical and mental wellbeing.

“I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been,” he wrote.

Kyrgios said the positive test had been a “wake up call” and he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to focus on his wellbeing.

“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he wrote.

The Game AFL Finals 2026

Kyrgios failed the drugs test on June 22 and the tennis’ testing body confirmed Kyrgios has been suspended since August 4.

“The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) has provisionally suspended Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme,” a statement read.

Nick Kyrios posted his apology on his Instagram story.
Nick Kyrios posted his apology on his Instagram story. Credit: Nick Kyrios/Instagram/Instagram

“31-year-old Kyrgios provided a sample during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca, Spain, on 22 June 2026. On 17 July 2026, a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.

“Cocaine is a stimulant and substance of abuse on the WADA Prohibited List and is banned in competition under the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme. If taken out of competition, reduced sanctions apply for substances of abuse.

“Because of the nature of the substance, a provisional suspension is mandatory and has been in place since 4 August 2026.

“Kyrgios, who reached a career-high world singles ranking of 13 in October 2016, has the right to appeal the provisional suspension, but has not done so to date.

“As with all Tennis Anti-Doping Programme cases, ITIA support is available to Kyrgios.

Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency after testing positive to cocaine.
Nick Kyrgios has been provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Integrity Agency after testing positive to cocaine. Credit: Tertius Pickard/News Corp Australia

“While suspended, Kyrgios is not allowed to play in, coach at, or attend any events organised or sanctioned by World Tennis, WTA, ATP, the Grand Slams, or any national association.”

Kyrgios had only recently begun rebuilding his singles career, returning at Stuttgart in June to beat world No.36 Corentin Moutet for his first singles win in 15 months. He said he was feeling physically stronger after a wrist reconstruction and four knee surgeries.

He then returned to Wimbledon for the first time since reaching the 2022 final, but his comeback was marred by an on-court outburst at the umpire.

Originally published on The West Australian

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 19-08-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 19 August 202619 August 2026

Swans ‘deeply ashamed’ as club suspends five players amid sex assault investigation.