King Charles to return to work after recovering from treatment for his cancer diagnosis

Caleb Runciman
The Nightly
King Charles has hailed "the bravery of the first responders and emergency services". (AP PHOTO)
King Charles has hailed "the bravery of the first responders and emergency services". (AP PHOTO) Credit: AP

King Charles III will make a return to public-facing duties next week after undergoing cancer treatment.

Buckingham Palace revealed on Friday night that the King will return to public duties after a “period of treatment and recuperation”.

The news is contrary to reports that swirled earlier on Friday that constant updates were being made to his funeral plans amid grave fears for his health.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The 75-year-old spent three nights in hospital in January after undergoing a corrective procedure for a benign enlarged prostate before a separate issue of concern was discovered.

Further tests uncovered a form of cancer. The type of cancer has not been formally disclosed.

Charles has postponed his public duties since February but is due to mark his first official appearance with a visit to a cancer treatment centre with Queen Camilla next week.

“To help mark this milestone, the King and Queen will make a joint visit to a cancer treatment centre next Tuesday, where they will meet medical specialists and patients,” the palace said.

“This visit will be the first in a number of external engagements His Majesty will undertake in the weeks ahead.”

Charles is set to return to public duties while also receiving ongoing treatment for the cancer.

It is reported doctors have been “encouraged” by his progress, before he was cleared by his medical team.

The palace did not confirm how much longer his cancer treatment would continue.

The palace says the Queen and King are “deeply grateful” for the public’s support following the shock diagnosis.

“As the first anniversary of the Coronation approaches, Their Majesties remain deeply grateful for the many kindnesses and good wishes they have received from around the world throughout the joys and challenges of the past year.

The palace also confirmed they were due to host the Emperor and Empress of Japan in June.

It had been reported that Buckingham Palace officials were making updates to the monarch’s funeral plans.

“Of course, he is determined to beat it, and they are throwing everything at it. Everyone is staying optimistic, but he is really very unwell. More than they are letting on,” a source close to the royal family had told The Daily Beast.

The palace has not shared official updates on the King’s condition until Friday’s announcement.

Aides of King Charles were reportedly reviewing a comprehensive document outlining his funeral arrangements, known as Operation Menai Bridge.

“The plans have been dusted off and are actively being kept up to date. It’s no more than what you would expect, given the King has been diagnosed with cancer. But the circulation of them has certainly focused minds,” a former staffer with links to the serving courtiers said.

The royals were rocked by another diagnosis this year when the Princess of Wales revealed she, too, had cancer.

“In January, I underwent major abdominal surgery in London, and at the time, it was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful,” she said in a video address.

“However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present. My medical team, therefore, advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy, and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.

Comments

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 22-07-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 22 July 202422 July 2024

Desperate Democrats look to comeback queen Harris.