Australia named as top spot on infamous shark attack list after spate of horror bites rock NSW
Australia has been handed an unenviable global title in the wake of a series of horrific shark attacks, with one state standing out as particularly troublesome.

Australia has been declared one of the shark bite capitals of the world – after a new report found it had the most shark attack fatalities globally in 2025.
The nation of beachgoers recorded a total of 21 shark attacks in the year, five of which were fatal, according to the annual International Shark Attack File report.
Shark-related incidents in Australia were “notably higher” last year than the five-year annual average for the region, with the report finding one state in particular topped the infamous tally.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.
Globally, Australia accounted for five of the nine confirmed shark-related fatalities.
NSW recorded the highest number of shark attacks and deaths, with a total eight attacks and two deaths.
Western Australia came in second with seven attacks, one of which was fatal.
Both South Australia and Queensland recorded one shark fatality each.
The report comes after a horror start to 2026, where four people were attacked by sharks over just 48 hours in NSW alone.
Nico Antic, 12, died after being bitten by a shark while rock jumping near Vaucluse with his friends.

Another victim of the January attacks, local musician Andre de Ruyter, was recently moved off life support, his family confirmed via a fundraiser for his medical costs.
“We’re incredibly grateful to say that Andre is a shark attack survivor,” the donation site reads.
“Andre has just moved off life support, and the doctors are seeing more positive signs towards his recovery, however say we have a long journey ahead.”

The shark attack report comes as local councils urge government to do more to keep swimmers safe.
Last month, the Central Coast Council endorsed an emergency motion requesting a meeting with NSW Agriculture Minister Tara Moriarty to discuss shark attack mitigation.
Councillor Jared Wright said the request has so far gone unanswered.

“Following the urgency motion, Council wrote to Minister Tara Moriarty on 30 January and to date has not had a response to our meeting request,” Mr Wright said.
“There is a heightened sense of anxiousness in our community about the risk of shark attacks and it is important that we are doing everything we can to help keep people safe … there is a clear need for greater action to be taken to reduce our risk of shark attack,” he said.
Mr Wright said that only three of the Central Coast’s 15 beaches are currently using drone technology to their full potential.

Worryingly on the January 26 long weekend, shark detection drumlines across a number of beaches in the council area were inactive, as shark sightings forced the closure of at least one beach.
“We don’t want to wait until tragedy strikes before we receive extra funding and resources,” Mr Wright said.
Ms Moriarty has been contacted for comment.
Originally published as Australia named as top spot on infamous shark attack list after spate of horror bites rock NSW
