Chad Bishop: Two charged with murder after remains found in search for missing man

Police say human remains were found in a backyard in the investigation into the disappearance of a beloved man more than four years ago.

Andrew Hedgman and Kate Stephenson
NewsWire
Two people have been charged with murder following the discovery of suspected human remains at a Bethania property during a Queensland police investigation.

A four-year missing persons investigation has taken a grim turn, with two people now charged with murder after police found human remains in a box in the backyard of a Logan home.

It is believed the remains could be those of missing man Chad Bishop, 46, was last heard from on Thursday March 3, 2022.

Police had previously said Mr Bishop was last seen at a Beenleigh address before his disappearance.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.
Chad Bishop went missing from Beenleigh in early March, 2022. Two people have been charged with his murder. Picture: Supplied
Chad Bishop went missing from Beenleigh in early March, 2022. Two people have been charged with his murder. Supplied Credit: Supplied

On Monday, Bethania man Courtenay Williams, 52, and 45-year-old Windaroo woman Carlie Rochelle Mordue were arrested for allegedly murdering Mr Bishop and covering it up.

The two co-accused appeared before the Brisbane Magistrates Court for the first time on Tuesday, charged with murder and interference with a corpse.

Police say the remains were uncovered on Monday during a search of a home on Old Trafford Rd, Bethania, as detectives investigated the disappearance of the 46-year-old man.

Detective Inspector Ian Galpin told reporters police executed a warrant to search a backyard at a Bethania address after receiving.

“As a result, police located a box in what I will call a shallow grave, and within that box police located human remains,” Inspector Galpin said.

A crime scene has been established after the remains of a man who went missing four years ago were found in a home at Bethania. Picture: Kyle Rode.
A crime scene has been established after the remains of a man who went missing four years ago were found in a home at Bethania. Kyle Rode. Credit: News Corp Australia

He said it had been “a lengthy and complex investigation” which has spanned in excess of four years.

He would not confirm the identity of the man, but said he had been missing since March 2022, when Mr Bishop disappeared.

“So our investigation would suggest if the person whose remains we have located is who we believe it to be, they are known to the persons we have charged.”

n April 2022, Mr Bishop’s mother Karen Wood told the Sunday Mail, while her son had battled drug addiction, he always showed loved for his family.

“He had a beautiful nature,” Ms Wood told the publication.

“Caring, loving, we were very, very close.

“He wouldn’t walk in or out of the house without a kiss and a cuddle, or a ‘I love you Mum’.”

QPS release is Chad Bishop (missing) and attached picture is chad with his mum Karen Wood.
QPS release is Chad Bishop (missing) and attached picture is chad with his mum Karen Wood. Credit: Supplied

The discovery marks a major development in a case that has remained under investigation for years.

Mr Williams’ and Ms Mordue’s matters were adjourned with no application for bail.

The duo are due to appear back in Brisbane Magistrates Court on September 7 for committal mention.

Detectives remain at the crime scene on Tuesday morning.

More to come

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 17-08-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 17 August 202617 August 2026

Sydney Swans ‘extremely shocked and disappointed’ as police investigate sex assault claim at team hotel.