Sydney Swans: Head coach Dean Cox breaks silence after ‘several’ players involved in alleged Melbourne assault
Sydney Swans head coach Dean Cox has spoken publicly for the first time since police launched an investigation into an alleged assault involving ‘several’ of the club’s players.

Sydney Swans head coach Dean Cox has spoken publicly for the first time since police launched an investigation into an alleged assault involving “several” of the club’s players.
Cox addressed reporters outside the Swans’ headquarters on Tuesday morning after Victoria Police attended the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday and said they were investigating a report of sexual assault in the early hours of the morning.
On Monday, 7NEWS revealed Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordon and Riley Bice were being questioned by police over the alleged assault.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.“Extremely disappointed with what’s happened and understand the questions and will update when we have more information,” Cox told the media.
“We are working our way through everything with the AFL and all parties and will update when we have more information.
“We’ll update when we get more information.”
Cox’s comments were followed by Swans skipper Callum Mills as he arrived at Sydney HQ later in the morning.
“I can’t really comment - it’s an investigation (that’s) ongoing, and we don’t have the facts yet,” he said.
It comes as Sydney and the AFL face a decision on whether to stand down several Swans players under investigation over an alleged sexual assault.
The Swans stayed at the hotel on Sunday night after their 36-point win over Essendon at the MCG. That victory locked in second place on the AFL ladder and a home qualifying final in three weeks.
Sydney chief executive Matthew Pavlich on Monday afternoon confirmed several players had been involved in an “alleged incident” but refused to say whether any had been arrested.
Pavlich said the club was working with the AFL and relevant authorities but that since it was an ongoing police matter he could not give more detail than that.
“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal inquiries ongoing,” Pavlich said.
“But, safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.”
As of Monday evening, no players had been charged in regard to the investigation, which is ongoing.
The AFL is yet to comment on the matter, though its Integrity Unit appears certain to become involved.
1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)
National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028
with AAP

