Westfield Bondi Junction reopening announced after stabbing massacre

Peta Rasdien
The Nightly
2 Min Read
Flowers are placed outside Westfield Bondi Junction to honour the victims of the stabbing.
Flowers are placed outside Westfield Bondi Junction to honour the victims of the stabbing. Credit: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

The Westfield Bondi Junction shopping centre is set to reopen this week, it has been announced, days after a stabbing massacre that left six people dead.

The centre will open its doors for a community reflection day on Thursday. No shops will be open but between 11am and 5pm people will be able to walk through the centre to pay their respects.

A dedicated area has been set aside for people to lay tributes such as wreaths and flowers.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Trading will resume on Friday. While some retailers may choose to remain closed, the majority are expected to open.

Office towers at the centre, which are distinct from the retail space, have already reopened.

Six people died and 12 were hospitalised, including a nine-month-old baby, after diagnosed schizophrenic Joel Cauchi went on a stabbing rampage at the busy shopping centre on Saturday afternoon.

New mother Ash Good, architect and mother of two Jade Young, Chinese national Yixuan Cheng, Dawn Singleton, the daughter of millionaire businessman John Singleton, artist Pikria Darchia, and security guard Faraz Tahir all lost their lives in the 15-minute stabbing frenzy that shocked the world.

Elliott Rusanow, chief executive of Westfield’s parent company Scentre Group, said it had been a very difficult time and acknowledged the “hard work and tireless efforts of our Westfield and Scentre Group teams”.

He said they were working with all of the victim’s families on how they could be supported.

“We have been very considered in our plans to reopen the centre in a way that is respectful to the victims, their families and all in the community who are grieving,” he said.

Mr Rusanow said one of the victims was a staff member, security guard Faraz Tahir, who had come to Australia as a refugee from Pakistan.

His family were now on their way to Australia.

“Unfortunately, our team member came to this country as a refugee from Pakistan and seeking a safer life and it’s with great tragedy and sadness that in our country he hasn’t been able to experience that,” Mr Rusanow said.

“We’re working with the family, his family, we’re working with all the victims’ families in how we support both financially and non-financially in how they grieve and move forward from the tragedy that occurred here Saturday.

Security guard Faraz Tahir was one of six victims.
Security guard Faraz Tahir was one of six victims. Credit: Supplied

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 17-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 17 May 202417 May 2024

Shadowy South American crime figure at centre of alleged gambling scandal that’s rocked Aussie sport.