Albanese says he’ll lobby Laos PM over ‘weak prosecutions’ for methanol-poisoning deaths of two Aussies teens

Anthony Albanese says he will lobby the Laotian prime minister for justice over the 2024 deaths of two Australian teens from methanol poisoning while backpacking in the south-east Asian nation.

Caitlyn Rintoul
The Nightly
Melburnians Holly Bowles and Bianca Jones , both 19, and four other foreign nationals died in recent weeks after falling ill in Vang Vieng, a popular tourist town in Laos.
Melburnians Holly Bowles and Bianca Jones , both 19, and four other foreign nationals died in recent weeks after falling ill in Vang Vieng, a popular tourist town in Laos. Credit: supplied/Facebook

Anthony Albanese says he’ll lobby the Laotian prime minister for justice over the 2024 deaths of two Australian teens from methanol-poisoning while backpacking in the south-east Asian nation.

Holly Morton-Bowles and Bianca Jones, both aged 19, died after a mass methanol poisoning incident during a night out at the Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng on November 13.

The Prime Minister confirmed on Wednesday he would hold talks with Sonexay Siphandone after 10 people linked to the hostel and convicted of destroying evidence were fined less than $200 earlier this month.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The grieving families of the Melbourne teens and several other foreign tourists fatally poisoned have labelled it a betrayal and beyond comprehension — particularly after they only learnt from a UK victim’s family via a group chat about the fines.

The girls’ fathers, Shaun Bowles and Mark Jones, had publicly criticised Australian authorities last week for the lack of communication, insisting it had made their grief worse.

Speaking on Melbourne radio station 3AW on Wednesday, Mr Albanese admitted that Canberra could have “done better” in keeping families up to date with the process.

“Certainly, DFAT needed to have done better, and we made that clear to them, but they’re seeking justice,” the PM said.

“My heart breaks. No one should lose their child in any circumstance, let alone under these circumstances.

“I agreed with them that I would talk directly to the prime minister of Laos, and we’ll be trying to establish that at this stage.

“That discussion will take place next week, just to assert Australia’s very clear position that we want justice to be done here.”

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has since issued a unreservedly apology to the families and admitted they “fell short”.

“The department prides itself in its commitment to consular service and to ensuring that the interests of consular clients and their families are paramount. On this occasion, we fell short of our aspiration,” DFAT said in a statement.

Mr Albanese added that the Federal government had appointed a special envoy, Pablo Kang, to examine the case.

Mr Kang heads DFAT’s south east Asian division has previously served as Ambassador to Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and High Commissioner to Vanuatu.

Before she was deposed by new Liberal leader Angus Taylor on Friday, former Opposition Leader Sussan Ley had called for Mr Albanese to summon the Laotian ambassador for a “formal explanation” about the “weak prosecutions”.

The Laotian government previously vowed to “bring the perpetrators to justice in accordance with the law”.

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 17-02-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 17 February 202617 February 2026

Respected Sydney GP’s campaign to bring ISIS families back to Australia.