Anthony Albanese says he’s ‘personally pleased’ alleged Perth Australia Day attacker’s identity revealed
Anthony Albanese says he’s ‘personally pleased’ after WA courts lifted a suppression order on the name of a man who allegedly threw a bomb at Australia Day protesters in Perth.

Anthony Albanese says he’s “personally pleased” after WA courts lifted a suppression order on the name of a man who allegedly threw a bomb at Australia Day protesters in Perth.
Police allege 32-year-old Warwick man Liam Alexander Hall threw a glass container with three explosive liquids, and wrapped it in ball bearings and screws at a crowd of 2500 demonstrators.
He has since been charged with the State’s first terrorism offence. It marked an upgrade from his initial charge of making an explosive under suspicious circumstances and endangering the life, health and safety of others.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.While in Tasmania on Wednesday, Mr Albanese was asked his thoughts on the lifting of a suppression order prohibiting the publication of any identifying particulars.
“It is a matter of course for the courts. We have an independent process in Australia of a separation of the political system from the judiciary, but personally, I am pleased,” he said.

“This was a very dangerous situation for First Nations people and we have condemned it from the very beginning.”
Magistrate Lynette Dias had decided during a court appearance on Tuesday to remove the suppression order, saying they required “exceptional circumstances”.
The accused’s duty lawyer had successfully argued for it at his first appearance in Perth Magistrates Court last month, based on fears for his and his family’s safety.

The Prime Minister also acknowledged the fear the incident had caused First Nations Australians.
“We continue to reassure First Nations people that we understand this will be traumatic for them,” he said on Wednesday.
“The threats that are out there to security from a range of areas are very real.
“We need to isolate these ideological extremes and we need to reassert our values as Australians and this was a horrific attack on First Nations people that could have had catastrophic consequences had it been successful.”
The public naming of the accused also drew a response from across the political spectrum. One Nation WA leader Rod Caddies issued a statement as one of his former candidates shared a name with the accused.
He said the alleged Australia Day terrorist “Liam Alexander Hall is not the same person as Liam Christopher Hall who ran for One Nation WA at the 2025 state election,” Mr Caddies said.
His candidate had run in State Labor Minister Paul Papalia’s seat of Secret Harbour for One Nation and won 8.4 per cent of the primary vote.
“I have been in contact with Liam the candidate, and he is aware that some people are making the link, and he is monitoring the situation” Mr Caddies said urging caution to the media and public.
“Our candidate Liam is a fine member of the community and does not deserve any sort of negative attention just because he has the same first and last names as someone else.”
Mr Caddies has condemned the alleged Australia Day terror attack and said that “violence must never be accepted in Australia from any side of politics or from any belief system”.
