Australian news and politics: PM announces Jay Weatherill as Australia’s new High Commissioner to the UK

Scroll down for all the news.
Key events
10 Nov 2025 - 01:23 PM
Anthony Albanese coy on extending energy rebates
10 Nov 2025 - 01:21 PM
ANZ’s revamp costs leadership team $33.4m in lost bonuses
10 Nov 2025 - 12:53 PM
AGL offloads wind, solar investment for up to $750m
10 Nov 2025 - 11:10 AM
Albanese says international partners are urging Turkiye to drop their COP bid
10 Nov 2025 - 11:04 AM
PM labels Coalition ‘self-obsessed’ ahead of high-stakes policy meetings
10 Nov 2025 - 10:53 AM
Albanese urges preparations for upcoming high-risk weather season
10 Nov 2025 - 10:48 AM
Former SA Premier Jay Weatherill new High Commissioner to the UK
10 Nov 2025 - 10:37 AM
Anthony Albanese pays tribute to long-running radio host John Laws
10 Nov 2025 - 10:32 AM
PM marks one month until Australia’s under-16s social media ban is implemented
10 Nov 2025 - 09:25 AM
Australia’s most unsuccessful party loses another leader
10 Nov 2025 - 07:10 AM
Female MPs threatened after condemning neo-nazi protest
10 Nov 2025 - 06:24 AM
‘Load of nonsense’: PM slams Ley’s Joy Division shirt remark
10 Nov 2025 - 06:09 AM
‘Total swindle’: Joyce slams Labor’s renewable energy policy
Prime Minister says State Funeral to be held for Australian Labor Party figure
The Prime Minister has paid tribute to Australian Labor Party figure Graham Richardson after he passed on Saturday.
Anthony Albanese gave a nod to his political achievements and legacy in environmental protection, while announcing a state funeral would be held.
“He was, of course, a formidable character in machine politics in the Labor Party,” he said.
“He had a real impact. He - more than anyone else, I think - is responsible for Labor being the party of the natural environment and protecting the natural environment.”
“I had a call very early on Saturday morning from Amanda. My heart goes out to Amanda and Darcy (wife and son).
“Amanda has, this morning, been in contact with me. She has accepted the offer of a state funeral for Graham.”
Anthony Albanese pays tribute to long-running radio host John Laws
Anthony Albanese has paid tribute to long-running radio host John Laws, acknowledging his influence, legacy, and connection with audiences across Australia.
The Prime Minister told a Canberra press conference on Monday the late Mr Laws, who passed on Sunday, was a voice which “resonated throughout our nation”.
“He was a permanent feature of our media landscape,” he said.
“I enjoyed quite a few lunches with John Laws, and he was always engaging, someone who had a real insight into the Australian character, both in our cities, but also - importantly - in the bush.
“He’s someone who is particularly attracted towards people in regional Australia, and they warmed to him as well.”
PM marks one month until Australia’s under-16s social media ban is implemented
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has called for families to embrace Australia’s under-16s social media ban as Monday marks one month until its implementation.
The ban will come into effect on December 10 and so far, includes nine platforms: Facebook, Threads, Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, X, YouTube, Kick and Reddit.
“We do argue, very strongly, though, that this is the Government of Australia setting down what we expect to happen - including reminding social media companies that they have a social responsibility, and that they need to be conscious about their social licence,” Mr Albanese said.
“It is inspirational, the fact that parents have taken what is often a devastating personal tragedy and channelled that trauma into helping others and making sure that other parents and siblings don’t go through what their tragic experience has been.”
Australia’s most unsuccessful party loses another leader
The Canberra Liberals, who have languished in opposition for twenty-four years, have lost another leader with Leanne Castley announcing she’s stepping down following a turbulent 12 months in her party’s top job.
Last year the Labor party won its seventh consecutive election victory in the ACT Assembly, with the Liberals not having been in power since former Chief Minister and Senator Gary Humphries was defeated by Jon Stanhope at the 2001 territory polls.
On Monday, Canberra Liberals leader Leanne Castley and her deputy Jeremy Hanson announced they would be stepping down to make way for a new team, with former radio announcer and current ACT Speaker Mark Parton expected to take the leadership.
“To give the Canberra Liberals the best possible chance of success in the 2028 election, we have made the decision to step down from leadership,” the pair said in a joint statement.
“A vote will soon be held to elect a new leadership team, and neither of us will be contesting any leadership positions. We extend our full support and best wishes to those who will take on these important roles.”
Female MPs threatened after condemning neo-nazi protest
Two Sydney politicians, Vaucluse MP Kellie Sloane and Wentworth MP Allegra Spender, say they have received death threats and threats of sexual violence after speaking out against a neo-nazi rally that took place on the steps of NSW Parliament on Saturday.
The event, attended by around 60 members of the National Socialist Network (NSN), featured banners calling to “Abolish the Jewish Lobby”.
After both MPs condemned the rally, hateful posts began appearing on platforms such as Telegram and X. The threats became so intense that Ms Sloane ultimately deleted her X account.
Despite the abuse, however, she has vowed not to be silenced. “I won’t stop speaking up when I am calling out this kind of behaviour,” Ms Sloane told ABC Radio on Monday.
“It’s revolting. And no public figure, no person, whether they’re a public figure or an individual, should be subjected to this kind of vile abuse.”
Asked about how the protest was able to go ahead, NSW Police Commissioner, Mal Lanyon, said there was an internal communications error.
‘Load of nonsense’: PM slams Ley’s Joy Division shirt remark
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has hit back at criticism from Opposition Leader Sussan Ley over his Joy Division T-shirt, dismissing her comments as “a load of nonsense.”
Ms Ley accused the PM of “parading an image derived from hatred and suffering,” referencing the band’s name, which comes from the forced sexual slavery of Jewish women during the Holocaust.
Speaking on Nova, Mr Albanese said he found the accusation “rather extraodinary”, brushing it off as an overreaction.

The remarks came as Mr Albanese highlighted that the Government’s social media ban for children under 16 will take effect in just one month.
He described the move as “so important,” emphasising that it’s about protecting young people and supporting parents, not introducing a digital ID system.
“This is about letting kids be kids and empowering parents to have those conversations with their children,” he said.
‘Total swindle’: Joyce slams Labor’s renewable energy policy
Barnaby Joyce has slammed the Federal Government’s potential extension of energy rebates to curb rising power prices as a “total swindle.”
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has reportedly not ruled out extending the $150 power bill subsidy if prices continue to climb. The rebate, part of Labor’s Energy Bill Relief Fund, is available to most households and small businesses until December 31, 2025.
Mr Joyce, who has recently distanced himself from the Nationals on energy policy, told Sunrise the rebates were not a long-term fix.
“It’s a total swindle. It’s a Band-Aid on an amputated leg that’s happened out in the paddock,” he said.
He argued taxpayer money was being recycled rather than addressing deeper structural issues in the energy market.
“It’s not about fundamental change, and the intermediate power swindle has brought a structural decline, a structural basically destruction, of our power grid.”
