Perth man appears in court charged with threatening to ‘hunt down and kill’ Pauline Hanson
A man has appeared in court charged with threatening to ‘hunt down and kill’ One Nation leader Pauline Hanson.
A Perth man has appeared in court accused of threatening to “hunt down and kill” One Nation leader Pauline Hanson in a series of alleged vile Facebook posts.
Anton Raymond Illich, 47, was charged in July with two counts of using a carrier service to make a threat.
It was not revealed Ms Hanson was the subject of the alleged threats until he fronted court in Perth on Friday, the ABC reports.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.The Australian Federal Police (AFP) confirmed last month that it had arrested a man after investigating social media posts.
Mr Illich appeared at a magistrates court in Perth on Friday, representing himself.
Last month, the AFP said it had started its investigation after receiving notifications of an alleged online threat to kill a federal parliamentarian.
Mr Illich has been granted bail and is due to appear in the same court in October.
Speaking previously, AFP acting inspector Fleur Jennings said threats towards elected officials would not be tolerated.
“Public officials deserve the ability to carry out their duties without facing the threat of harm,” the inspector said.
It comes months after the AFP set up a dedicated team to detect individuals causing harm to Australia’s social cohesion - including those targeting politicians.
More to come...
Originally published as Perth man appears in court charged with threatening to ‘hunt down and kill’ Pauline Hanson
