Ex-detainee accused of elderly Perth couple’s bashing during home invasion wasn’t wearing ankle bracelet

Dan Jervis-Bardy
The Nightly
3 Min Read
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says the “thoughts of all Australians” are with the Girrawheen couple.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says the “thoughts of all Australians” are with the Girrawheen couple. Credit: Lukas Coch/AAPImage

The ex-immigration detainee allegedly involved in a violent attack on a Girrawheen couple was not being tracked with an ankle monitoring device.

The Nightly has confirmed that Majid Jamshidi Doukoshkan was not required to wear the device after a recommendation from the Commonwealth law enforcement board which advises what conditions should be imposed on the freed detainees.

Opposition leader Peter Dutton has accused the Federal Government of creating a “dangerous situation” for the community as he renewed calls for senior Labor ministers to be sacked over their handling of the immigration detention saga.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Mr Jamshidi Doukoshkan faced court on Monday charged with his alleged involvement in a terrifying attack in which three men allegedly conned their way into a couple’s home pretending to be police officers before beating 73-year-old Ninette Simons and stealing $200,000 worth of jewellery.

The Kuwait-born man was among 152 detainees released after the High Court in November ruled that indefinite immigration detention was unlawful.

The 43-year-old was hauled before the courts earlier this year after repeatedly breaching curfew — a condition imposed under emergency laws to monitor the released detainees.

He was granted bail on February 20, which Commonwealth prosecutors didn’t oppose, before the charges were dropped due to a visa bungle.

The measures imposed on the ex-detainees are based on recommendations from a federal law enforcement board, which includes Border Force and Home Affairs officials.

The board considers a range of factors, including the person’s immigration history, past crimes, behaviour in custody or detention and medical and health information.

Home Affairs officials last month confirmed that 73 of the 152 detainees are not being monitored with the tracking devices.

One of the trio accused of bashing a pensioner in WA is an immigration detainee released after a landmark High Court ruling.
Ninette Simons, 73, was severeley beaten in the alleged attack. Credit: WA Police/TheWest

The alleged home invasion has created a new political storm for the Federal Government, with Mr Dutton saying victims such as Ms Simons and her husband were paying the price for its “incompetence”.

“I don’t want to see anybody fall victim to a serious criminal offence,” he said.

“But what the Government has done here is create a dangerous situation”.

He again called for the sacking of Immigration Minister Andrews Giles and Home Affairs Minister Clare O’Neil, who are yet to comment publicly about the Girrawheen home invasion.

In his first comments on the alleged attack, Mr Albanese said the “thoughts of all Australians” were with the couple.

Mr Albanese said it would be inappropriate to comment while the matter was before the courts, but noted bail was a matter for the States.

Speaking with the ABC, Industry Minister Ed Husic said he was “deeply concerned” by the attack and indicated the government would “have more to say”. But the frontbencher said he was not interested in turning the attack into a political football.

“We have had to effectively clean up the mess and the neglect by the Coalition in this space but we are taking responsibility, we are taking those measures and we will always take the advice of authorities about what more can be done,” Mr Husic said.

An Australian Border Force spokesperson confirmed it was aware an individual was arrested by WA Police on April 28.

“The safety and security of the community remains the absolute priority for the Australian Border Force and Department of Home Affairs, and we will continue to work closely with our state and territory partners,” the spokesperson said.

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 21-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202421 May 2024

The PM, the terrorist and the A-list barrister demanding war crimes charges.