Sydney Swans scandal: Dean Cox and Callum Mills break silence as AFL club vows to rebuild trust before finals
Sydney Swans coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills have fronted media for the first time since a sexual assault scandal engulfed the club.
Swans coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills are fronting a media conference on Friday morning for the first time since the alleged sexual assault scandal erupted.
Sydney has stood down players Riley Bice, Nick Blakey, Isaac Heeney, James Jordon and Chad Warner for the rest of the season for breaching club standards by drinking late into the night and bringing women to the hotel.
Cox started by expressing his and the club’s respect for women, and apologising to them.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.“I would like to express the respect for women is of the highest priority for both myself personally and our football club,” Cox told a media pack outside Swans HQ.
“To those women involved, I hope everyone is getting the support they need.”
He vowed to restore the community’s faith in the club and its culture.
“Our culture isn’t perfect. One thing that we do know is our culture has taken a hit,” Cox said.
“The thing you need to understand about a culture is how you respond and the actions you take following being here.
“We going to work through as hard as we possibly can, to get the trust back from the community, to get the culture where we desire to be, where we once had been.”


They are embroiled in a Victoria Police investigation after allegations of a sexual assault at the Pullman East Melbourne hotel in the early hours of Monday.
No one has been arrested and no charges have been laid. NewsWire is not accusing any players of sexual assault, only that they have been involved in the investigation.
Both Cox and Mills have made limited comments during the week, leaving the task of addressing the scandal to chief executive Matthew Pavlich and chair Andrew Pridham.

Sydney secured second spot on the ladder and at least two home finals after surviving a minor scare to ease past last-placed Essendon by 36 points at the MCG last Sunday evening.
But their finals campaign has been thrown into disarray, with fans turning on the team and sponsors walking away.
The Swans take on North Melbourne at home at the SCG on Sunday afternoon for the final game of the home and away season.
The Swans AFLW team, who is taking on Essendon in the second game of their season, has been given equal billing on Sunday in an SCG double-header, which has also been overshadowed by the scandal.
The team’s coach Colin O’Riordan and captain Lucy McEvoy will hold a press conference at 1.30pm on Friday.
More to come...
Originally published as Swans coach, captain hold first media conference since players’ sexual incident scandal

