Former prince Andrew: No evidence Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was vetted to become trade envoy, according to files

A letter headed ‘Duke of York's travel’ has been released as part of a trove of files related to the former prince Andrew's appointment as UK trade envoy.

Staff Writers
AP
A new documentary series set to release in August 2027 will feature five hours of largely unheard audio tapes of Princess Diana.

The British government has found no evidence Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was vetted prior to his appointment as a trade envoy, a minister says, alongside the release of new documents.

The trove of files also showed the former prince’s mother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, pushed for his appointment to such a role.

The documents were made public after UK opposition MPs asked the government to release all papers related to the creation of the role of Special Representative for Trade and Investment and Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s controversial appointment to the position.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Mountbatten-Windsor was appointed as trade envoy in 2001 and stepped down a decade later over his ties to the convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

In a letter published on Thursday, Trade Minister Chris Bryant said: “We have found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken. There is also no evidence that this was considered.”

Bryant said this process was “understandable” since Mountbatten-Windsor’s appointment was a “continuation” of the royal family’s involvement in promoting Britain’s trade and investment.

The files also showed the late Queen was “very keen” for Andrew to be named Britain’s trade envoy.

“The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests,” the head of Britain’s trade body wrote to two senior cabinet ministers on February 25, 2000.

The involvement of the late monarch confirms previously held beliefs that she had a soft spot for her second son, which may have influenced her lack of decisiveness in dealing with allegations about his links to Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor served as Britain’s special envoy for international trade from 2001 to 2011, when he was forced to give up the role because of concerns about his links to questionable figures in Libya and Azerbaijan.

Bryant said the UK government was co-operating with Thames Valley Police with their investigation into Mountbatten-Windsor and possible misconduct in public office.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal titles late last year as the US Justice Department prepared to release millions of pages of documents related to its investigation of Epstein. Those files showed how the wealthy financier used an international web of rich, powerful friends to gain influence and sexually exploit young women and girls.

with EFE

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 21-05-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202621 May 2026

Jim Chalmers defends the fineprint in the face of Budget backlash.