Oklahoma murder-suicide: Young boy (10) wakes to find entire family dead at hands of dad

The Nightly
2 Min Read
Police investigate after almost an entire family were found dead in a home in Oklahoma City.
Police investigate after almost an entire family were found dead in a home in Oklahoma City. Credit: NF/AP

WARNING: CONFRONTING CONTENT

A 10-year-old boy awoke to find his parents and three brothers dead in their southwest Oklahoma City home, all fatally shot by his father, police said Tuesday.

On Monday morning, “(the boy) woke up and discovered what had happened,” said Sgt. Gary Knight, describing the scene as “carnage.”

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

“Make no mistake about it, what happened in that residence was nothing short of a massacre,” Knight said,

Police believe Jonathan Candy, 42, killed his wife, 39-year-old Lindsay Candy, and sons 18-year-old Dylan Candy, 14-year-old Ethan Candy and 12-year-old Lucas Candy, Knight said. He said Jonathan Candy then turned the gun on himself.

Knight said investigators believe the shooting began after an argument between the parents late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

“At some point he (Jonathan Candy) armed himself with a gun, he shot her multiple times, killing her,” Knight said. “At that point he systematically went through the home shooting and killing the children.”

The father “systematically” went through the home and killed his wife and three of his four kids, before turning the gun on himself.
The father “systematically” went through the home and killed his wife and three of his four kids, before turning the gun on himself. Credit: NF/AP

Knight said it is not known why the fourth child was spared or a motive for the shootings. He said police had no previous contact with the family, had not previously been called to their home and that there was no history of domestic violence in the family.

Knight said the 10-year-old was placed in the custody of relatives and was physically unharmed.

Knight said the boy told investigators that he slept through the sound of the gunfire, and that there is no reason to doubt him.

“He called 911 and said he had just woke up and found the bodies,” Knight said. “The door (to his room) was closed and there was a box fan running” that would also muffle the sound.

“There is no indication he didn’t sleep through it,” Knight said.

Lifeline: 13 11 14

Young people seeking support can phone beyondblue on 1300 22 4636 or go to headspace.org.au

— With Associated Press

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 21-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202421 May 2024

The PM, the terrorist and the A-list barrister demanding war crimes charges.