Hoax messages threatening violent attack plunge Rossmoyne Senior High School into chaos

Josh Zimmerman and Dylan Caporn
The Nightly
3 Min Read
Rossmoyne Senior High School has been plunged into chaos following the circulation of terrifying messages – described by the principal as a hoax – that appear to show a student threatening a violent attack.
Rossmoyne Senior High School has been plunged into chaos following the circulation of terrifying messages – described by the principal as a hoax – that appear to show a student threatening a violent attack. Credit: Michael Wilson/The West Australian

Rossmoyne Senior High School has been plunged into chaos this morning following the circulation of messages – described by Principal Alan Brown as a hoax – that appear to show a student claiming he was planning to “shoot up at the school”.

Already reeling after radicalised Year 11 student James was shot and killed by police after stabbing a stranger outside the Willetton Bunnings on Saturday night, the school community was sent into a frenzy by a series of messages posted on an internal forum with students and teachers on Monday night.

The messages purport to come from a student, who the The West Australian has chosen not to name.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

They include: “All I’m saying is Allahu Ahkbar I will kill the n...... tomorrow” and “the reason I threw up gang signs in my photos is cause I always planned to shoot up at the school and f... all the n...... c... you are all going to get punished for what you have said to me in school we will prevail”.

The correspondence spread like wildfire among students and parents, prompting Mr Brown to send an email on Tuesday morning in which he said a “hacking incident” was to blame for the confronting claims.

“As many of you are aware there are some inappropriate messages circulating amongst students and in the community,” he said.

“It has been confirmed that there has been a hacking incident and the messages have not originated from a student.

The threatening messages circulated around the community.
The threatening messages circulated around the community. Credit: supplied/supplied

“Police have been notified and are investigating the matter and have confirmed there is no additional threat to the school or our students.

“We understand you may have safety concerns and I’d like to assure you we have various support options in place for students and staff.

“We will continue to update you as more information is available and please continue to look after yourselves and each other.

“Please reassure students we are doing all we can and if they need support please refer them to Student Central staff.”

The West Australian understands multiple parents chose to keep their kids at home on Tuesday after seeing the messages last night.

Six police cars and multiple officers were witnessed outside the highly sought-after public high school on Tuesday morning.

A subsequent email to parents from the school said WA Police had investigated the “online threats” and identified they were “vexatious and were not made by the ‘sender’”.

The threatening messages circulated around the community.
The threatening messages circulated around the community. Credit: supplied/supplied

“Police do not have any concerns for the safety of the students, teachers, and the broader community, and WA Police continue to work with the Department of Education to identify the source of the messages”.

Speaking on ABC Radio, Education Minister Tony Buti said the messages had been found to be “facetious” when investigated by police and had not come from a student.

“The school has sent to parents basically repeating that and confirming that the hacking incident and the messages did not originate from a student,” he said.

“At this stage, the message is to (parents to) send your children to school today.

“The police and the Department of Education have safety procedures in place and they will be activated if necessary.”

Latest Edition

The front page of The Nightly for 21-05-2024

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202421 May 2024

The PM, the terrorist and the A-list barrister demanding war crimes charges.