Arsonists target Adelaide homeless couple’s caravan

Lauren Rose
7NEWS
A couple doing it tough after arsonists hurl molotov cocktails at their caravan.

An Adelaide couple no longer have a roof over their heads after arsonists targeted the caravan they were living in.

Rebecca Thomas and Craig Smith were asleep in their caravan, parked under an overpass near Gawler, when a Molotov cocktail was hurled at it on Tuesday.

“All I heard was, ‘Ha ha sucked you, you deserve it’,” Thomas said

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The couple managed to escape without injury but the fire destroyed their belongings.

“My Mother’s Day presents, everything from my kids was in there,” Thomas said.

Nearby residents had previously complained about the couple’s caravan and belongings left on the grass.

The disability pensioners say they had brought in skip bins and were trying to clean up.

Rebecca Thomas said the caravan held items that were precious to her.
Rebecca Thomas said the caravan held items that were precious to her. Credit: 7NEWS
The caravan and everything inside was destroyed.
The caravan and everything inside was destroyed. Credit: 7NEWS

Now they’re rushing to find somewhere else to live.

“Thanks … you cost us everything,” Smith said.

Nearby security cameras captured three teenagers running from the burning caravan on Tuesday.

South Australia Police seized an accelerant left nearby.

The investigation is ongoing.

Originally published on 7NEWS

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 03-04-2025

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 3 April 20253 April 2025

Trade trouble and major tumble bookend PM’s roughest day on campaign trail.