British nuclear submarine HMS Anson forced to wait off Perth amid Rottnest Channel Swim
A British nuclear-powered submarine has been forced to remain offshore near Perth after the Rottnest Channel Swim blocked its planned entry into HMAS Stirling.

Frustrated British sailors are being forced to remain on board a nuclear-powered submarine off the Western Australian coast longer than expected as this weekend’s annual Rottnest channel swim delays their scheduled arrival in Perth.
The West Australian can reveal the 100 Royal Navy submariners who crew HMS Anson had hoped to be already docked at HMAS Stirling naval base following an almost six-week undersea journey from the United Kingdom.
Officials familiar with the planning for this month’s visit by the Astute-class submarine have confirmed that infrastructure set up for the iconic Rottnest Swim on Saturday is preventing the UK boat from transiting through the channel leading into HMAS Stirling.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.One military figure, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that while it was frustrating for HMS Anson’s crew, the submarine had already experienced several diversions and delays during its journey towards Western Australia.
The Defence Department and Australian Submarine Agency have so far declined to comment on the submarine’s new arrival date, but the West has confirmed HMS Anson is now expected to finally dock at HMAS Stirling on Sunday.
Meanwhile, organisers of the Rottnest Channel Swim say this weekend’s event could still be delayed, or even cancelled, because of the unpredictable weather forecast on Saturday.
Individual skippers of the boats used to support swimmers were also advised to consider the weather advice before they decide to set out early on Saturday morning.
In early February, British High Commissioner Dame Sarah MacIntosh revealed details of the impending arrival of HMS Anson, telling a private AUKUS event at Parliament House it would undergo “planned sustainment and maintenance” during its month-long stay.
The British diplomat described the event as another step in Australia’s AUKUS optimal pathway towards acquiring nuclear-powered submarines, which first involves operating US Virginia-class boats, and then developing a new fleet with the UK called SSN-AUKUS.
Dame MacIntosh said that Submarine Rotational Force-West, which begins next year in Perth, as well as the new Henderson Defence Precinct, were “great” for all three AUKUS nations and were “increasing our national and our shared resilience”.
HMS Anson, which was commissioned in 2022, was photographed departing from a British naval base in Gibraltar in late January on its way to Western Australia.
Originally published on The Nightly
