Guzman Y Gomez concedes defeat in US and warns of financial blow of up to $56 million

Mexican fast-food chain Guzman Y Gomez has conceded defeat and will retreat from its ambition plans to conquer the US market.

Daniel Newell
The Nightly
GYG co-CEOs Hilton Brett and Steven Marks.
GYG co-CEOs Hilton Brett and Steven Marks. Credit: Supplied/TheWest

Mexican fast-food chain Guzman Y Gomez has conceded defeat and will retreat from its ambition plans to conquer the US market.

The embarrassing withdrawal comes despite repeated commitments from its two founders, Hilton Brett and Steven Marks, that the venture simply needed time to gain traction among American consumers already spoiled for choice.

More importantly for investors, the failed attempt to build a brand in the US is set to cost GYG a one-off financial hit of between $US30 million and $US40m ($42m and $56m).

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

That includes a cash component of $US15m to cover payment of lease liabilities, employee costs, contractual commitments and other exit expenses.

Recognising that shareholders were already growing increasingly impatient with the pace of growth, Mr Marks and Mr Brett in February said they would not expand beyond the 15 planned restaurants in the US until its eight restaurants matched sales in Australia.

The company last month reported that sales at those loss-making stores rose $4m during the March quarter, up from $3.2m a year ago.

GYG told the Australian Securities Exchange on Friday that trading at its Chicago restaurants would stop immediately, saying “the financial performance of the US business has not been acceptable and is not meeting targeted hurdles”.

It offered no detail on the number of jobs that would be lost.

Mr Marks, who relocated to the US earlier this year in a last-ditch effort to steer the stores into profitability, admitted the differentiation of GYG’s food and guest experience was not translating to an improvement in sales momentum.

“Having spent the last three months in the US, I realised this was going to take significantly more time and capital than we had expected,” he said.

“In assessing the trajectory of the current network, the board and I have concluded that the business is unlikely to deliver the performance that would justify continued investment of shareholder capital.”

GYG said it would instead focus on building its “solid” foundations in Australia, where comparable sales grew 6.6 per cent in the three months to March 31 . It plans to open another 32 stores here this financial year and is now forecasting underlying earnings growth of 29 per cent over the previous year to $85m.

It also remains confident of its master franchise expansion in Japan and Singapore, which just opened its 24th restaurant.

“We are very proud of our international partners in Singapore and Japan and see substantial growth ahead in each market,” Mr Marks said.

“Beyond Singapore and Japan, we continue to believe there will be the right opportunities, in the right markets, with the right models.

“When those opportunities arrive, we will be ready. Today’s decision is about the US specifically, it is not a statement about GYG’s global potential.”

GYG said the costs of exiting the US are not expected to impact its final full-year dividend.

More to come.

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 21-05-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 21 May 202621 May 2026

Jim Chalmers defends the fineprint in the face of Budget backlash.