‘That’s been tough’: Tina Arena’s emotional admission after ex-husband Ralph Carr’s rape conviction
The singer also opened up about the devastating loss of her longtime mentor Johnny Young.
Tina Arena has opened up about her former marriage to Ralph Carr, admitting it has been tough to see his name return to the headlines.
The Australian music icon addressed the difficult chapter of her life on Sunrise on Wednesday while discussing her brutally honest new documentary, Tina Arena, Unravel Me.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Tina Arena on 50 years of fame
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.Almost 30 years after the couple divorced, Carr was convicted of raping and sexually assaulting a woman, with his identity only recently made public after a suppression order was lifted.
Carr, who also goes by the name Ralph Carnovale-Carr, had pleaded not guilty to two counts of rape and one count of sexual assault in the county court of Victoria.
After a three-week trial the jury found him guilty of all charges last week.
Asked how it felt to hear her former husband’s name in the media again, Arena admitted it had been difficult.
“That’s been tough. But like I’ve said, you will always reap what you sow,” she said.
“That part of my life is well and truly gone. I’ve learned some very fundamental lessons from that, and for that I’m grateful because I learned in a very complex and difficult way.”

Arena praised the woman at the centre of the case for finding the strength to speak out.
“My heart goes out to that young lady who was so incredibly strong to come out,” she said.
“It should be a lesson that serves everybody, especially young women to going through these kinds of things.
“It’s really important that you find the strength to just come forward and speak because that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.”
Arena urged members of the community to intervene when they witnessed concerning behaviour.
“When you see these kinds of behaviours that are taking place, don’t ever be frightened to go tap someone on the shoulder and go, ‘Look, I’m very uncomfortable with the way in which you’ve approached that person (it) doesn’t sit well with me’,” she said.
“I do have a tendency to do that because I’m brutally honest, and I have ostracised people, and you know what? I’m so comfortable with that.”
Remembering mentor Johnny Young
Arena also broke her silence on the death of her longtime mentor, Johnny Young, revealing he left her one final message.
Young, who helped launch Arena’s career on Young Talent Time, died just weeks before the documentary’s cinema release.
“It’s been a heavy few days. It’s been a heavy few weeks ... He’ll be really missed,” Arena said.
Young features prominently in the documentary and describes Arena as the greatest of the children to appear on Young Talent Time.

His contribution to the film would ultimately become his final interview.
“It’s the last interview that he did before his passing. So, I feel very privileged that he left me that message,” she said.
“It’s something that I’ve got for the rest of my life. But it’s tough.”
‘My story from my mouth’
Tina Arena, Unravel Me charts the highs and lows of the singer’s extraordinary 50 years in entertainment through archival footage and new interviews with her sisters, industry peers and Young.
Arena said revisiting her life had not been easy but felt it was important to finally tell her story in her own words.
“Other people’s perceptions are all well and good. But you really need to hear from the person as to what they actually lived,” she said.
“For me, the documentary was important that, after 50 years, people could actually hear my story from my mouth, as opposed to other people’s interpretations of it.”
Arena described growing up in front of the Australian public as “a very bizarre place to be”.
“I just don’t know how I’ve managed to survive so long, other than to say that I clearly have a very steely determination,” she said.
“I’m somebody that truth really matters to me. I cannot stand what goes on and the concocted narratives. I just cannot stand it. It might suit other people. It doesn’t suit me.”
‘Not a skerrick of regret’
The documentary also reveals Arena turned down How Do I Live, which went on to become a global hit for LeAnn Rimes.
But the singer insisted she did not have “a skerrick of regret” about walking away from the opportunity.
“I had an opportunity in America and I think my heart was very clear. I also was very aware that there was a big part of me that I would have to sacrifice,” she said.
“I know that’s a dreadful word to use, but I was just not prepared to do it.
“I learned a lot from my time in America. I’m so grateful to the collaborations that I had and the experiences, but I did realise that it was not a place for me. It doesn’t match my values as a person.”

After half a century in the spotlight, Arena revealed she expected to eventually step away from performing and pursue other interests.
“II will give it away at some point. You have to. I’ve got other things I want to do. I want to live a life,” she said.
“I spend time with my family. I’d like to travel. I’d like to creatively try other things, too, because I have other interests as well.”
Tina Arena, Unravel Me opens in cinemas on August 27, with Arena attending special preview screenings in Sydney on Sunday.
Her new covers EP, Way Out Of The World, will be released on October 6.
If you or someone you know needs help, contact 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), or Sexual Assault Counselling Australia on 1800 211 028, the WA Sexual Assault Resource Centre on 6458 1828 or 1800 199 888 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.
Originally published on Sunrise
