US-Iran war update: Donald Trump warns next attack could be launched ‘very quickly’, says people would die

US President Donald Trump says that he is ready to move ‘very quickly’, declaring Iran a defeated nation as he readies to get 1600 oil tankers out of the Strait of Hormuz.

Headshot of Max Corstorphan
Max Corstorphan
The Nightly
Trump’s uncertain stance on Iran peace deal

US President Donald Trump says that Iran is a defeated nation, however, warned if he does not get a “100 per cent good answer” from Iran, people will be killed.

Since Mr Trump returned from China, following his high-stakes meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, the US President has drastically ramped up renewed threats against Iran.

“We’re in the final stages of Iran. We’ll see what happens. Either have a deal, or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty, but hopefully that won’t happen,” he said on Wednesday.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

This week, he told Iran that the “clock was ticking”, before revealing he had planned a new attack, something he decided to pause only after other leaders in the Middle East appealed to him.

Mr Trump said US forces were now on standby to launch a “full, large-scale assault of Iran” at a moment’s notice, adding US war ships were “filled to the brim”, ready to attack.

On Wednesday US time, Mr Trump said he wanted to try and avoid war, as if Iran does not provide him with the response he desires, Iranians will be killed.

“We’re all ready to go. We have to get the right answers,” Mr Trump said, adding he was “right on the borderline” over whether to launch an attack right now.

“It would have to be a complete 100 per cent good answer.

“If we do, we save a lot of time, energy and lives, most importantly.

The US President’s timeline is, like usual, fluid and vague. Mr Trump has previously spoken about his preference to make a decision at the latest possible moment.

“It could go very quickly, or a few days,” Mr Trump said of his hoped-for deal or possible next attack.

“Iran is a defeated nation. We are dealing with a lot of good people. Were dealing with some people with talent, with good brain power.

“Hopefully those people will make a deal that’s going to be great for everybody.”

Asked if he was tired of the back and forth, Mr Trump said: “I never get tired”.

“If I can save war by waiting a couple of days, if I can save people being killed by waiting a couple of days, I think it’s a great thing to do.”

Iran threatens to extend retaliation beyond Middle East

Iran, for its part, accused Mr Trump of plotting to restart the war and threatened to retaliate for any strikes with attacks beyond the Middle East.

“If aggression against Iran is repeated, the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time,” the Revolutionary Guards said in a statement.

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, Iran’s top peace negotiator, said in an audio message on social media that “obvious and hidden moves by the enemy” showed the United States was preparing new attacks.

Foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei later said the US had to end its “piracy” against Iranian ships - a reference to the US blockade of Iranian ports.

“Despite the negative record of the other side over the past year and a half, Iran is pursuing the path of negotiations with seriousness and good faith but it has strong and reasonable suspicion over America’s performance,” Mr Baghaei said.

In the latest diplomatic push, the interior minister of Pakistan, which hosted the only round of peace talks so far and has since been the conduit for messages between the sides, was in Tehran on Wednesday.

Mr Baghaei said the US and Iran continued to exchange messages through the Pakistani minister’s mediation.

Iran submitted a new offer to the United States this week.

Iran’s descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms previously rejected by Mr Trump, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops from the area.

Strait of Hormuz shut for some

Iran has largely shut the Strait of Hormuz to all ships apart from its own since the US-Israeli campaign began in February, causing the biggest disruption to global energy supplies in history.

Mr Trump on Wednesday said 1600 oil tankers were sitting in the Strait of Hormuz ready to depart, something that he claims will rapidly help with the price of petrol.

The US responded last month with its own blockade of Iran’s ports.

Iran says it aims to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms.

That could potentially include fees for access, which the US says would be unacceptable.

Mr Baghaei said late on Wednesday that Iran was ready to establish with Oman a mechanism to ensure sustainable security in the Strait of Hormuz.

Two giant Chinese tankers laden with a total of about four million barrels of oil exited the strait on Wednesday.

Iran had announced last week, while Mr Trump was in Beijing for a summit, that it had agreed to ease rules for Chinese ships.

South Korea’s foreign minister said on Wednesday a Korean tanker was crossing the strait in cooperation with Iran.

Shipping monitor Lloyd’s List said at least 54 ships had transited the strait last week, about double the previous week.

Iran said 26 ships had crossed in the past 24 hours, still only a fraction of the 140 per day before the war.

- with Reuters

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 20-05-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 20 May 202620 May 2026

First rule of Labor: Don’t talk about the Budget.