THE NEW YORK TIMES: US imposes entry restrictions for some citizens as Ebola outbreak rages
THE NEW YORK TIMES: The Trump administration said it would impose new entry restrictions for some US citizens as the Ebola outbreak intensifies.

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Thursday that it would impose new entry restrictions for US citizens who have recently been in Congo, Uganda or South Sudan, citing the Ebola outbreak in the region.
The Department of Homeland Security directed all flights carrying those travellers to arrive at Dulles International Airport in Virginia, where the government is putting in place “enhanced public health measures.”
The restrictions apply to all U.S. citizens and green card holders who were in those countries within 21 days of their arrival to the United States, according to a State Department alert Thursday. The restrictions apply to flights departing after 11:59 p.m. Eastern time Wednesday.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.The Department of Homeland Security did not elaborate on the enhanced public health measures it will carry out at Dulles.
But the department said it would work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to screen travelers arriving at the airport, which receives the largest number of travelers originating from Congo, Uganda and South Sudan.
Earlier this week, the CDC invoked an emergency public health rule to block entry into the United States by travelers who had been in the three African nations in the past 21 days. That restriction did not apply to American citizens or U.S. service members.
The restrictions came after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a global health emergency last weekend.
The outbreak is suspected to have caused more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 infections, according to the WHO.
The agency’s head said Wednesday that there was little risk of the outbreak developing into a pandemic, even as the number of suspected cases and deaths continued to climb.
This article originally appeared in The New York Times.
© 2026 The New York Times Company
Originally published on The New York Times
