More than 5200 firearms surrendered under Cook Government’s buyback scheme
Thousands of firearms have been surrendered so far under the Cook Government’s voluntary buyback scheme, with Police Minister Paul Papalia calling it an ‘incredible result’.

More than 5000 firearms have been surrendered so far under the Cook Government’s voluntary buyback scheme.
Modelled on the Federal program brought in after the Port Arthur massacre, owners receive a payment varying from $233 to $1000 — depending on the value of the gun — for each weapon they surrender.
Police Minister Paul Papalia confirmed that, as of Friday, 5207 firearms had been handed in since the scheme began on February 21.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.This included 662 handguns, 1270 shotguns and 3275 rifles. In the first week, 2205 firearms were surrendered, and $1.5 million was paid out.
The Government was unable to confirm how much had been paid out in total for the more than 5000 firearms.

Mr Papalia said each firearm taken off WA’s streets was an “incredible result”.
“It’s good to see more than 3800 firearm owners have taken up the opportunity to take part in the buyback so far, handing in over 5200 guns,” he said.
The new figures come as the Government works to overhaul the State’s gun laws, with legislation set to soon pass parliament that will introduce stricter licensing and storage requirements as well as compulsory training and health checks.
In an Australian-first, individuals will not be allowed to own more than 10 firearms.
“The new laws will ensure tighter regulation surrounding the licensing and use of firearms, so I encourage anyone who thinks they might not want, or be able, to retain their guns to take part before the buyback ends,” Mr Papalia said.
The buyback scheme will close on August 31 or when the $64.3m allocated budget runs out.
WA’s opposition alliance is split on the firearm reforms, with the Nationals staunchly opposed and the Liberals set to propose some amendments but ultimately vote in favour.
Nationals leader Shane Love was on Wednesday flanked by pro-gun lobbyists as he said his party would seek to “rewrite” various provisions of the Bill if they formed Government after the next election.
“We don’t support arbitrary limits on firearms,” Mr Love said.
Originally published as More than 5200 firearms surrendered under Cook Government’s buyback scheme
