Victoria Police chief Rick Nugent resigns after 41 days amid corruption allegations and rising crime

Kimberley Braddish
The Nightly
Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has quit
Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has quit Credit: James Ross/AAP PHOTOS

Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent has resigned after just 41 days in the role, plunging the force into further turmoil as it grapples with soaring crime rates and leadership instability.

In a statement, Mr Nugent said the resignation “has been one of the most difficult decisions” of his working life.

The shock-exit marks another blow to Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan’s Government, which has faced mounting criticism over its handling of police leadership and public safety.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

Mr Nugent informed the Allan Government on Tuesday that he wished to step down immediately, citing stress as the main factor for his decision.

In a statement he said leading Victoria Police was a great privilege:

“When I was first asked if I would return to Victoria Police only a few short weeks ago it presented the possibility of leading the organisation that has been a major part of my life’s work for around 38 years.”

“The job of Chief Commissioner demands an exceptional candidate. It requires the strongest capabilities and a commitment to go the distance.”

“Always on, never off, for the full five-year term. That is what our hardworking members and employees deserve. And that is what our community deserves.”

“After almost four decades at Victoria Police, plus 18 months as Emergency Management Commissioner, I cannot say, hand on heart, that I have it in me to fulfil the duties of this office for the full five years.”

Confirming that he would not be applying for the full time position of Victoria Police Commissioner, the acting Commissioner told ABC Melbourne radio that the “realisation” of the job’s demands had become apparent.

“I’ve been giving it a lot of thought,” he said on ABC Radio on Wednesday.

“It’s an incredibly demanding job, as most would know. It’s a 24/7 job.

“It just dawned on me, the realisation that this is a demanding job for a long period, I just decided not to (apply).”

This decision comes less than two weeks after the Crime Statistics Agency revealed Victoria is facing an unprecedented surge in crime, with offences in 2024 reaching their highest level in nearly a decade.

Over 600,000 criminal offences were recorded last year, marking an increase of 82,237 or a 15.7 per cent rise from 2023, the highest crime rate since 2016.

Mr Nugent, stepped into the role in February following the resignation of former Chief Commissioner Shane Patton, who left after an overwhelming vote of no-confidence from rank-and-file officers.

Mr Nugent’s tenure has been overshadowed by allegations of misconduct, including claims of “inappropriate conduct involving a conflict of interest” during his previous stint as commissioner.

These allegations are under review by Victoria’s anti-corruption watchdog, IBAC.

Ousted Deputy Commissioner Neil Paterson has filed a complaint accusing Ms Allan, Police Minister Anthony Carbines, and Mr Nugent of orchestrating a plan to remove him and former Chief Commissioner Shane Patton from their roles.

The leadership upheaval began earlier this year when Mr. Patton, who had served in the role since 2020, was forced out following an overwhelming no-confidence vote by police.

Mr. Paterson claims they conspired to remove him and Mr Patton from their roles after they provided advice on public safety that conflicted with the Government’s agenda

In his statement on Wednesday, Mr Nugent said those allegations were “wrong” and welcomed the IBAC investigation.

“I want to be completely clear about media reporting this morning about complaints that have been made to IBAC.”

“These allegations are entirely wrong and I look forward to meeting with IBAC to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.”

“I will work with government as to how long I remain in the role of Acting Chief Commissioner.”

Applications for the permanent chief commissioner role close Friday, leaving the government scrambling to appoint another interim leader while IBAC continues its investigations into complaints tied to the force’s recent turmoil.

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 02-04-2025

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 2 April 20252 April 2025

Trade wars, secret ships and election meddling: Our perilous place in the new world order.