US-Iran war live updates: Trump issues shocking threat to Iran as deadline to reopen Strait of Hormuz looms

RECAP: US President Donald Trump has issued a shocking threat to Iran, saying a ‘whole civilisation will die’ if the Strait of Hormuz is not reopened by his deadline on Tuesday evening Washington time.

Katherine Kraayvanger, Max Corstorphan and Madeline Cove
The Nightly
Donald Trump criticised Australia at a White House press conference, claiming the country hasn't helped the United States.

Scroll down for a recap of Tuesday’s news and updates.

Here’s what you need to know: Middle East war latest

If you are just joining us, tensions remain high as US President Donald Trump escalates threats against Iran and ceasefire efforts falter.

Here is a recap of the latest developments:

Trump threatens strikes on Iran infrastructure

Mr Trump said bridges and power plants across Iran would be targeted if Tehran does not accept a ceasefire deal by 8pm Tuesday Washington time.

Australia named among allies who ‘didn’t help’

Mr Trump again criticised NATO as a “paper tiger” and singled out Australia among countries he said failed to support the US early in the conflict.

Iran rejects ceasefire proposal

Iranian state media reports Tehran has rejected a 45-day ceasefire proposal, signalling no immediate de-escalation.

Iran reports more military casualties

Four Iranian officers were killed in an operation responding to US aircraft, according to the Fars news agency.

Focus on the rescue of downed US fighter jet crew

Mr Trump and senior military officials have also spoken about the operation to rescue two personnel aboard a US F-15 fighter jet shot down over Iran last week.

Stay with us as we bring you the latest updates.

Key bridge reopens after attacks on nearby energy facilities

King Fahd Causeway, the only road linking Saudi Arabia to Bahrain, has been reopened to traffic after attack threats from Iran.

The bridge was closed for about five hours as a “precautionary measure” during attacks on nearby energey facilities.

Authorities confirmed vehicles could now cross the causeway, which comprises of a series of bridges that connect two Gulf Kingdoms.

Caitlyn Rintoul

PM brings Singapore fuel-run forward amid uncertainty

Anthony Albanese has brought forward his visit to Singapore amid the urgency to secure Australia’s fuel supply in the wake of an Iran war-induced global energy crisis.

The Prime Minister will travel to the Asian nation on Thursday to hold bilateral talks with counterpart Lawrence Wong in a meeting which had been slated for later in the year.

Mr Albanese described the trip as an “important progression” after the regional leaders recently penned a joint commitment to keep fuel flowing between both countries and to work together to strengthen energy supply chain resilience.

While Australia is a reliable supplier of LNG to Singaporeans, we rely on our Asian neighbour for refined fuels.

“This will be important, and we’ll continue discussions on securing our trade in petrol, diesel and LNG,” he said.

“This is an important progression. I was due to go to Singapore this year. The truth is that it’s happening earlier than was intended.

“There are further discussions that we’re having on a regular basis while I’m in Canberra on the phone. But nothing beats a face-to-face engagement.”

Read the full story here.

Israel urges against using trains for travel in Iran

The Israel Defense Forces has warned Iranian train users to avoid using the mode of transport.

“For the sake of your security, we kindly request that from this moment until 21:00 Iran time, you refrain from using and traveling by train throughout Iran,” the statement on the military’s Farsi social media account reads.

“Your presence on trains and near railway lines endangers your life.”

The warning comes after Donald Trump made theats to strike civilian infrastructure in Iran.

Caitlyn Rintoul

Albanese dismisses Donald Trump’s ‘unhelpful’ criticism

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has dismissed questions about US President Donald Trump’s criticisms of Australia’s response to the conflict in the Middle East.

The US President named Australia as part of a group of “unhelpful” nations withholding support in their strikes on Iran and efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

The Prime Minister would not be drawn during a press conference in Canberra on Tuesday, when asked “what help has Australia failed to provide?”

“Well, that’s not a question for me,” he responded.

Read the full story.

Albo avoids questions on Trump’s planned destruction

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese avoided questions regarding the risk to human life if US President Donald Trump follows through with his threat to destroy Iran’s energy infrastructure and bridges.

“We want to see a de-escalation. We’ve called for that, we want to see clear objectives,” Mr Albanese said on Tuesday.

“The objectives that President Trump outlined at the beginning of the process have largely been achieved,” he added.

PM, Bowen say Australia’s fuel supply secure

Anthony Albanese says work has been carried out by Government and the Australian public to ensure fuel security.

“Australia is facing a more uncertain world, and therefore the certainty of those clear, close relationships are more important than ever,” Mr Albanese said.

“We are currently in a secure position. However, engaging with our international partners is an important part of keeping our fuel supply flowing.”

The Prime Minister will travel to Singapore on Thursday, where he says he will have conversations

Energy Minister Chris Bower shared the latest numbers as of Tuesday morning.

NSW: 125 stations with no diesel, 34 with no fuel.

VIC: 40 stations with no diesel, 29 with no unleaded.

QLD: 34 stations with no diesel, 30 without unleaded.

SA: Seven stations with no diesel, five with no unleaded.

WA: 20 stations with no diesel, 32 with no unleaded.

TAS: Seven stations with no unleaded, two with no unleaded.

NT: Four stations with no diesel and four with no unleaded.

ACT: Four stations with no diesel, one with no unleaded.

Mr Bowen said that now there are 241 stations around Australia with no diesel, 3 per cent of all stations. He added that Australia now has stocks of 39 days for petrols, 30 days of jet fuel, and 29 days worth of diesel.

Trump rages about Iran war next to giant Easter bunny

US President Donald Trump shared a key update on the war with Iran with a giant Easter Bunny by his side at the White House.

The US President was participating in the traditional Easter Egg Roll event at the White House when he stood next to the giant bunny to tell hundreds of kids about the war.

President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump address the crowd on the South Lawn during the White House Easter Egg Rol.
President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump address the crowd during the White House Easter Egg Roll on Easter Monday. Credit: Tom Williams/Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call/Sipa USA

“I don’t think it gets much more hostile than Iran,” he told the kids and crowds.

“They are capable fighters.

“That enemy is strong. Not so strong like they were about a month ago, I can tell you, in fact, right now they are not too strong at all in my opinion, but were soon going to find out, aren’t we?”

Mr Trump was later seen with kids around the White House lawns, signing caps that he said the kids could sell on eBay, and agreeing with one child who said he was the best president.

Iran calls on youth to form ‘human chain’ around targets

Iran’s Ministry of Sports and Youth has called on Iranians to form a “human chain” around power plants and energy facilities as US President Donald Trump threatens to blow them up.

Deputy of youth affairs, Alireza Rahimi, called on Iranian youth, including athletes, artists and students, to gather around sites from 2pm local time on Tuesday. That is just 13 hours before Mr Trump’s deadline for the Strait of Hormuz to reopen.

“This action (the human chain) has been formed at the suggestion of the youth themselves,” Mr Rahimi said.

“A number of university youth, young artists, and youth organizations proposed that we form a human ring or human chain around the country’s power plants

“This symbolic action is called the ‘Human Chain of Iran’s Youth for a Bright Future.’ We hope that with the participation of young people across the country, this human chain will be formed around the power plants, and it will be a sign of the youth’s commitment to protecting the country’s infrastructure and building a bright future.”

Will fuel limits be introduced for Australian motorists?

The Federal Government has attempted to bring calm to Aussies as fuel supply remains a major issue, with new fears growing that rationing is just days away. Here’s what we know.

Energy Minister Chris Bowen on Monday said that the country’s fuel supply, which is heavily dependent on other countries, is secure for April and into May. However, the guarantee of a secure supply beyond that point has not yet been confirmed.

Australia imports the majority of fuel from nearby Asian neighbours, most prominently from South Korea, Singapore and Malaysia.

Ships carrying fuel also move at a very slow pace, usually around 13 - 17 knots, something that is similar to a bicycle’s standard pace, moving around 20km/h.

Australia usually secures supplies around 30 days in advance.

Read more.

Here’s what you need to know: Middle East war latest

If you are just joining us, tensions remain high as US President Donald Trump escalates threats against Iran and ceasefire efforts falter.

Here is a recap of the latest developments:

Trump threatens strikes on Iran infrastructure

Mr Trump said bridges and power plants across Iran would be targeted if Tehran does not accept a ceasefire deal by 8pm Tuesday Washington time.

Australia named among allies who ‘didn’t help’

Mr Trump again criticised NATO as a “paper tiger” and singled out Australia among countries he said failed to support the US early in the conflict.

Iran rejects ceasefire proposal

Iranian state media reports Tehran has rejected a 45-day ceasefire proposal, signalling no immediate de-escalation.

Iran reports more military casualties

Four Iranian officers were killed in an operation responding to US aircraft, according to the Fars news agency.

Focus on the rescue of downed US fighter jet crew

Mr Trump and senior military officials have also spoken about the operation to rescue two personnel aboard a US F-15 fighter jet shot down over Iran last week.

Stay with us as we bring you the latest updates.

Comments

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 22-05-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 22 May 202622 May 2026

How Ben Roberts-Smith and Andrew Hastie’s private conflict exploded into public war.