US-Iran war live updates: Trump issues shocking threat to Iran as deadline to reopen Strait of Hormuz looms
RECAP: US President Donald Trump has issued a shocking threat to Iran, saying a ‘whole civilisation will die’ if the Strait of Hormuz is not reopened by his deadline on Tuesday evening Washington time.
Scroll down for a recap of Tuesday’s news and updates.
Key events
07 Apr 2026 - 09:41 PM
That’s all for today
07 Apr 2026 - 09:07 PM
Kharg Island hit by US airstrikes: Reports
07 Apr 2026 - 08:31 PM
Trump: ‘A whole civilisation will die tonight’ if Hormuz deal not reached with Iran
07 Apr 2026 - 06:40 PM
Three killed in shooting outside Israeli consulate in Turkey
07 Apr 2026 - 06:35 PM
Fuel to be cut off ‘for years’ if Trump attacks power plants: Iran
07 Apr 2026 - 06:03 PM
Container ship struck in Persian Gulf
07 Apr 2026 - 05:05 PM
PM holds phone call with Chinese Premier to discuss energy security
07 Apr 2026 - 01:09 PM
Albanese dismisses Donald Trump’s ‘unhelpful’ criticism
07 Apr 2026 - 10:28 AM
Albo avoids questions on Trump’s planned destruction
07 Apr 2026 - 10:14 AM
PM, Bowen say Australia’s fuel supply secure
07 Apr 2026 - 07:55 AM
Trump rages about Iran war next to giant Easter bunny
07 Apr 2026 - 07:35 AM
Iran calls on youth to form ‘human chain’ around targets
07 Apr 2026 - 06:57 AM
Will fuel limits be introduced for Australian motorists?
07 Apr 2026 - 05:42 AM
Trump claims Iranians ‘willing to suffer’ under strikes
07 Apr 2026 - 05:25 AM
Trump hits Australia in fiery Iran tirade
Here’s what you need to know: Middle East war latest
If you are just joining us, tensions remain high as US President Donald Trump escalates threats against Iran and ceasefire efforts falter.
Here is a recap of the latest developments:
• Trump threatens strikes on Iran infrastructure
Mr Trump said bridges and power plants across Iran would be targeted if Tehran does not accept a ceasefire deal by 8pm Tuesday Washington time.
• Australia named among allies who ‘didn’t help’
Mr Trump again criticised NATO as a “paper tiger” and singled out Australia among countries he said failed to support the US early in the conflict.
• Iran rejects ceasefire proposal
Iranian state media reports Tehran has rejected a 45-day ceasefire proposal, signalling no immediate de-escalation.
• Iran reports more military casualties
Four Iranian officers were killed in an operation responding to US aircraft, according to the Fars news agency.
• Focus on the rescue of downed US fighter jet crew
Mr Trump and senior military officials have also spoken about the operation to rescue two personnel aboard a US F-15 fighter jet shot down over Iran last week.
Stay with us as we bring you the latest updates.
Iran rejects ceasefire as Trump ramps up threats
Iran has rejected a proposed 45-day ceasefire, according to state media, as the United States continues to consider whether it will accept the deal.
Iran’s official IRNA news agency reported the response, delivered via intermediary Pakistan, calls for a permanent end to the war rather than a temporary pause in fighting.
The proposal includes 10 conditions, such as lifting sanctions, ensuring safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz, reconstruction commitments and broader de-escalation across the region.
The development is likely to increase pressure on Donald Trump, who has been pushing Tehran to agree to a ceasefire.
Mr Trump is expected to address the conflict in an upcoming speech, after warning earlier that he was prepared to rain “hell” on Tehran if an agreement is not reached by 8pm Tuesday Washington DC time.
Recap: Trump’s key comments overnight
US President Donald Trump delivered a series of combative remarks overnight, addressing the war with Iran, ongoing negotiations and a leak involving a US rescue mission.
On whether the war is escalating
“I can’t tell you. I can’t tell you. I don’t know. It depends what they do.”
On Iran’s peace proposal
Mr Trump said Iran had been negotiating “in good faith” and had made a “significant proposal” but insisted it was “not good enough”.
On potential strikes
He repeated warnings the US could target Iranian infrastructure if Tehran does not reopen the Strait of Hormuz by his deadline of Wednesday 10am AEST.
Mr Trump said Iran could be “taken out in one night”, adding: “I hope I don’t have to do it”.
On war crime concerns
Critics argue targeting civilian infrastructure would constitute a war crime, a suggestion Mr Trump rejected.
“I’m not worried about it. You know what’s a war crime? Having a nuclear weapon.”
On Iranian civilians
Without providing evidence, Mr Trump claimed Iranians wanted US strikes to continue.
“They would be willing to suffer that in order to have freedom.”
On the media leak
Mr Trump also threatened action against the journalist who revealed details of the rescue of a downed US pilot.
“We’re looking very hard to find that leaker,” he said.
“Give it up or go to jail.”
US rescue mission in Iran leaves casualties on both sides
A dramatic rescue mission to retrieve the crew of a downed US fighter jet in Iran has left casualties on both sides, underscoring the growing intensity of the conflict.
US officials say an American weapons officer from the F-15E aircraft and two helicopter crew members were injured after rescue aircraft came under heavy gunfire.
Iran claims four of its army officers were killed during the operation near Isfahan, saying they died in strikes carried out by US aircraft as the mission unfolded.
‘Go to jail’: Trump threatens media over leak
Donald Trump said the US has opened an investigation into how details of a missing airman were disclosed to the media, warning the leak may have jeopardised the rescue operation in Iran.
“We’re looking very hard to find that leaker,” Mr Trump said, adding he would seek to compel the media outlet that first reported the mission to reveal its source.
“Give it up or go to jail,” Mr Trump said.
“They put that man at great risk, and they put the hundreds of people that went in looking for him.
Trump claims Iranians ‘willing to suffer’ under strikes
Donald Trump has claimed Iranians would accept suffering caused by potential US strikes on civilian energy infrastructure if it ultimately secured their freedom, as he defends escalating military pressure on Tehran.
“It’s suffering. They would be willing to suffer that in order to have freedom,” Mr Trump said, also claiming some Iranians had urged the US to continue bombing despite the risks to their communities.
His remarks come as critics warn proposed attacks on energy plants, bridges and desalination facilities could amount to war crimes, with Mr Trump setting a deadline for Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz or face further action.
Trump says he wants to take control of Iran oil
Donald Trump says the group representing the Iranian government is “not as radicalised” as others who have been killed in air strikes.
“We think they’re actually smarter,” he said.
Mr Trump said if it were up to him, the United States would take control of Iran’s oil but he said the US public would not back such a move.
“Unfortunately, the American people would like to see us come home,” Mr Trump said.
“If it were up to me, I’d take the oil, I’d keep the oil, I would make plenty of money, and I’d also take care of the people of Iran much better than they’ve been taken care of.”
Trump hits Australia in fiery Iran tirade
US President Donald Trump has taken aim at Australia and key allies in a fiery press conference, accusing them of failing to support the United States in its conflict with Iran while also criticising NATO as a “paper tiger”.
“You know who else didn’t help us? South Korea didn’t help us,” Mr Trump said.
“You know who else didn’t help us? Australia didn’t help us.
“You know who else didn’t help us? Japan.”
Mr Trump argued the United States continues to provide significant military protection in the region, pointing to the large presence of US troops stationed in both Japan and South Korea as a defence against North Korea and its leader, Kim Jong Un, with whom he said he gets along “very well”.
“We’ve got 50,000 soldiers in Japan to protect them from North Korea,” he said.
“We have 45,000 soldiers in South Korea to protect us from Kim Jong Un, who I get along with very well.”
