New information about teenager’s alleged attempt to hijack Jetstar plane at Avalon Airport made public

New details about a teenager’s alleged attempt to hijack a Jetstar flight have made public in court documents.

Liam Beatty
NewsWire
New details about a teenager’s alleged attempt to hijack a Jetstar flight have made public in court documents.
New details about a teenager’s alleged attempt to hijack a Jetstar flight have made public in court documents. Credit: News Corp Australia

New details about a teenager’s alleged attempt to hijack a Jetstar flight have made public in court documents, including claims he told crew members he had bombs and “need to go into the cockpit”.

The young man, who cannot be named because he was under the age of 18 at the time of the alleged offending, was arrested on-board a plane at Avalon Airport on March 6 last year.

He has been charged with offences including attempted hijacking, assaulting crew and possessing controlled weapons without lawful excuse.

Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.

Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.

Email Us
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.

The now-19-year-old appeared in a Children’s Court on Wednesday as his lawyers revealed plans to argue he was suffering from a mental impairment at the time and should be found not guilty.

In court documents released to the media by Children’s Court president Judge Jack Vandersteen, a timeline of the teenager’s alleged actions can now made public.

On the morning of May 6, its alleged the boy took two shotguns and a rifle from his father’s gun safe, before collecting ammunition, knives, petrol bombs and a fake explosive device.

The boy was restrained on the plane.
The boy was restrained on the plane. Credit: Supplied

It’s alleged he left his home in the Ballarat region about 9.10am and arrived at the Avalon Airport shortly after 11am, where his vehicle was depicted driving around the vicinity of the airport.

According to the documents, it’s alleged the boy made a purchase at Hungry Jacks in Little River before parking next to some shipping containers about 2.15pm.

“He put on hi-vis clothing, collected weapons and other items in two tool bags, and walked to a fence, used wire cutters to cut a hole, and entered the airport,” it’s alleged.

CCTV from Avalon Airport captured the teenager ascending the front stairs of the Jetstar flight, with the summary claiming witnesses thought he was an engineer because of the way he was dressed.

Inside the plane, its alleged he whispered to staff; “I have bombs in my bag”, and “I need to go into the cockpit”.

It’s alleged the boy unzipped his jacket and began trying to assemble the barrel and butt of a shotgun before staff and a passenger intervened and restrained him.

While restrained, its alleged the boy said his intention was to scare people and, when asked if he had anything else planned, replied; “yeah wait and see”.

The summary contains contradictory accounts of what the boy allegedly said from different witnesses.

One person recalled that the boy said “I wouldn’t hurt anyone” while another claimed he said he did it “to hurt people, I have had this planned for months”.

It’s alleged an A4 piece of paper found on the boy contained basic hand drawn plans for a bomb, while second piece of paper had itinerary.

“Leave home 9:30 approx,” the paper allegedly said.

“Avoid all major roads until freeway.

“2:55 Jetstar flight to Sydney.

“Make sure all weapons are assembled and stored.

“Check explosives make all adjustments.

The boy allegedly cut through a fence.
The boy allegedly cut through a fence. Credit: Aaron Francis/News Corp Australia

“Work out disguise WorkSafe/ATSB/Police.

“Ground crew disguise.

“Wear suit under jacket.

“Wear Headphone.

“Wear safety glasses.”

Parts of two shotguns, knives, tools, ammunition, three molotov cocktails, a fake explosive device and a teddy bear was allegedly found on the boy.

In court on Wednesday, defence barrister Patrick Doyle SC said a neuropsychologist had concluded the teenager was suffering from a mental impairment at the time.

“He was a young man under tremendous mental strain,” he said.

Mr Doyle said the teenager had a range of mental health conditions and had suffered a “significant deterioration” around the time of the incident.

“It is remarkable how he got through the fence undetected and a high-vis vest and tool belt was a sufficient disguise to allow him to walk casually onto an aeroplane,” he said.

“But once he got there … this was only going to end one way.”

Prosecutors have alleged the teenager had “some sort of ideological and political motivation” to do what he did, while his defence says; “what he says on this topic to the police is incoherent”.

The teenager is expected to return to court next month.

Latest Edition

The Nightly cover for 20-05-2026

Latest Edition

Edition Edition 20 May 202620 May 2026

First rule of Labor: Don’t talk about the Budget.