Aaron Keith Bynum: Man charged after alleged online mass shooting threat tied to hantavirus lockdown fears
A man has been charged after authorities allege he made threats to carry out a mass shooting over the hantavirus outbreak.
A man has been charged after authorities allege he made threats to carry out a mass shooting at a Walmart if a hantavirus outbreak led to renewed COVID-style lockdowns.
Aaron Keith Bynum, from Oakland, Arkansas, was arrested and charged following an investigation that police say began after online threats were reported to authorities. He faces first-degree terrorist style threatening, and harassing communications charges.
In a statement, investigators said: “The arrest stems from an investigation into threats made on-line,” referring to messages allegedly made in an online multiplayer game.
Sign up to The Nightly's newsletters.
Get the first look at the digital newspaper, curated daily stories and breaking headlines delivered to your inbox.
By continuing you agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.Authorities were alerted on May 9 after the FBI received a tip involving alleged threats tied to a possible public health response. The report indicated that “an individual in an on-line multi-player game had threatened a mass shooting at his local Walmart if the country were locked down again due to the Hantavirus”

According to officials, the tipster also provided evidence that helped identify the suspect. “The individual provided the player’s username along with an in-game recording of the threats,” Marion County Sheriff Gregg Alexander’s office said.
A subpoena issued on May 11 led investigators to the gaming account allegedly linked to Mr Bynum, and two days later led to an investigation.
Police then searched Mr Bynum’s home, reporting they “seized a computer and computer accessories.”
Mr Bynum was taken into custody and brought to the Marion County Detention Centre, where he was held “without incident.”
The case emerged amid heightened concern over hantavirus following a rare outbreak on the MV Hondius cruise ship, which resulted in three deaths and at least 10 confirmed infections.
Officials noted the strain involved appeared capable of human-to-human transmission, which is unusual for hantavirus.

Australian Health experts note hantavirus is typically spread through contact with infected rodents and is not commonly transmitted between humans, although rare strains such as the one linked to the MV Hondius outbreak have raised new questions about transmission risk and quarantine protocols.
It comes as six passengers were placed into quarantine in Western Australia after being evacuated from the MV Hondius cruise ship, and returning negative test results for hantavirus.

The group, including four Australian citizens, one permanent resident and one New Zealand national, are currently being held in a quarantine facility in Bullsbrook, north of Perth, after being repatriated to Australia following the international response to the outbreak.
The passengers were initially flown from Spain to the Netherlands before being transported back to Australia, where they landed at RAAF Base Pearce on Friday.
From there, they were transferred directly into strict quarantine, where they will remain for three weeks under what the Federal Government has described as one of the toughest responses globally.
Health Minister Mark Butler said last week the approach reflected the seriousness of the situation. “This is probably the strongest quarantine response of any country that is taking passengers back from this cruise ship,” he told the ABC.

A Department of Health, Disability and Ageing spokesman confirmed the latest testing results showed no sign of infection among the group.
“The Australian Government’s priority remains the health and safety of the community and the wellbeing of the repatriated passengers,” the spokesman said.
“All passengers from the MV Hondius remain well.
“Their blood tests returned negative results for Andes virus, and none have developed symptoms since arriving in Australia.”
The spokesman added the passengers were being monitored under strict infection prevention measures.
“Their blood tests returned negative results for Andes virus, and none have developed symptoms since arriving in Australia,” the statement said.

“All individuals involved in the repatriation were managed under strict infection prevention and control protocols, including the use of personal protective equipment.”
Authorities also sought to reassure the public there is no ongoing domestic risk.
“The Australian Government’s priority remains the health and safety of the community and the wellbeing of the repatriated passengers,” the spokesman said.
“Australia has no cases of hantavirus.”
